DJI Shop in China

I’m currently in the city of Nanning in southern China for a few weeks with my wife (who is Chinese) while we visit her family. We spent an interesting half hour or so in the local DJI shop this afternoon, where I got a chance to handle various DJI products, including the new Avata and associated goggles. I must admit I hadn’t seen the Avata before, as I don’t constantly keep up with DJI’s latest innovations (pun intended!).

The lady assistant gave us a short flying demonstration around the shop with the Avata, flying it with the RC Motion 2 controller while we tried out the FPV goggles. With the aid of my wife translating, I explained that I fly fixed wing, helis and multi rotors back in the UK, and could I have a go? Unsurprisingly the answer was no. Insurance issues I guess, and as I think she tried to explain, she didn’t know my capabilities - and I’m unfamiliar with the RC Motion 2 controller anyway.

I’m thinking of getting a Mini 2 sometime, and my my wife was trying to encourage me to buy one in the shop. I must say that having done some price comparisons with Amazon back in the UK, the prices are favourable (DJI products are made in Shenzhen, which is only about 450 miles from here). For a couple of instances, a Mini 2 SE Fly More Combo here is about £372 and currently £439 on Amazon UK. And an Avata Explorer Combo here is about £1,014 and currently £1,099 on Amazon.

I won’t be buying here though as I’m concerned about guarantee issues if there’s a problem back in the UK. I suspect the FPV (and maybe the main) transmitters are more powerful than allowed in the UK, and any documentation or software is likely to be only in Chinese.

An interesting diversion for me though, and made a nice change from being dragged around shoe shops!

IMG_6048.thumb.jpeg.25a361c4ce1cf68250dee98bab94fb2d.jpeg
IMG_6046.thumb.jpeg.59fecaacdc1926fd7cbd1abcb7390cef.jpeg

IMG_6045.thumb.jpeg.ed7130a5d251c24fb93baa8b6021de4c.jpeg

Edited by EvilC57
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advert