Balsacraft Spirfire instructions required

Colour Sgt

I am new to this hobby as such I have just been given a Balsacraft Mkix spitfire kit that is already laser cut so should be fairly easy . However there is no instruction manual so I am stuck with a kit that looks doomed for file 13 . So it is a rather a ignominious start to the hobby.Unless anyone can lend me a copy…………

Welcome to the Forum and the hobby.

Looks like you are sorted with the instructions thanks to Simon.  The Balsacraft Spitfire is a marvellous model and flies beautifully - the kits were years ahead of their time and flew well even with the old tech brushed motors and NiCd batteries, if care was taken with motor and prop selection. With modern lipos and brushless motors they are even better, but do benefit from modification in battery access.

However, if you are new to the hobby the Balsacraft Spitfire is completely unsuitable as a first model. It's small, fast, with a low wing and very aerobatic. Probably a third or fourth model down the line. If you check out the beginner's section there are a couple of other new starters who are taking their first steps in the hobby and lots of good tips to be picked up.

Best of luck 🙂

• Like 1

Yes - I certainly agree with leccyflyer's assessment of the Balsacraft Spitfire.  It's an excellent model and it looks very convincing in the air, but it's certainly not suitable for a beginner. 

Also, if you're a newcomer to building, it would be worth gaining some experience by building one or two simpler kits first.  You'll want to make the best possible job of your Spitfire - there can't be many of these Model Designs kits left now.

If you're not already a member of a model flying club, I'd strongly recommend joining one as soon as you can - that way you'll have plenty of advice and help readily on hand.

The design's 600 brushed 'can' motor/nicad power train is obsolete now, so you'll want to incorporate a brushless/lipo set-up which will require some modifications to the nose area. You'll probably need some help from an experienced builder for this.  I found that incorporating about one degree of upthrust in the modified mounting helped to prevent a tendency to pitch nose-down when applying power.  

For future reference, mine has the following power set-up:

Motor: Quantum II 35

ESC:  60amp

Lipo: Overlander 3S 3900mah

Prop: Graupner Slim Prop 10x6

This gives good aerobatic performance, 7-8 minutes flying to storage voltage, and the 3900 lipo fits into the existing slot.  Make sure to incorporate the under-wing finger holes.  Without them, hand-launching is very difficult.

Here's my 23 year-old Balsacraft Spitfire on a sunny day at Port Meadow - still going strong.  I wish you the very best of luck with yours.

IMG-20200526-WA0003.thumb.jpeg.6b86dadc381f4b6f5ff47fee0207bd90.jpeg

• Like 1