WOTSTIK XL

Good Day Gentlemen,

I used to have a WOT 4XL but on Valentines Day 2021 an unsupervised LiPo exploded in my workshop and set fire to my Big Guff and WOT 4XL fuselages. The Big Guff has been repaired but not the XL. The wings of both models were stored elsewhere and were undamaged in the fire so now I'm thinking of reviving the XL.

I plan to make the fuselage something like a Stik in order to make construction easier. The forward part of the fuselage including the wingseat was undamaged so I've something to work from. I have found out online that the length of the fuselage is 1535mm or just over five feet and that the wing area is 6.7 sq ft or about 965 sq ins or 6226 sq cms.

Three questions for the aerodymicists among you.

1. Do you think that the overall length of the fuselage includes the rudder?

2. How big should I make the tailplane? 15% of the wing area? 20% 25%?

3. What size fin and rudder should I make?

David D

If I was doing it I would keep exactly the same proportions and shapes as the original.

You have the wings so its just a bit of maths to work out the lengths of the rear fuselage, tail plane and fin along with a bit of 'eyeball' to get the right shapes.

From the WOT 4 XL manual.

WOT4XL.jpg.e1dce7cb2b4bfac8cc47fd1ddf592730.jpg

It is how I build scale RC planes from 3 views down loaded from the internet.

• Like 2

Hello David, been there, done that. Albeit using a standard pair of wot 4 artf wings. Should be maidenhead on Tuesday weather permitting. It turned out nose heavy so the nose has been shortened a little since the picture. Why did I do it? Well at the time the kit was not available so I bought a pair of wings and scratch built the rest.

All the best...Chris.

IMG20230508201313.jpg

Edited by flying pastor
The text doesn't like wot4