Flair Legionnaire plans

Darren t

To aid ground handling i recommend you fit a sprung undercarriage. All i did was trim off the ends of the kit supplied axle, and then bind/solder another axle on top at the mid point leaving the ends free. A few 2mm pushrod offcuts were bent into guides at the ends and soldered on at the ends of the V struts to prevent fore/aft movement and it was job done. This really tames the ground handling as the model is far less prone to bouncing all over the place. Its still not the easiest model in the world to fly, but once used to it they are a hoot. mine is getting on for 10 years old and has an ancient saito 45 for power. This is more than adequate and half throttle is all i need. If you dont fly much using you rudder this will be virtually unflyable. You cant mix it on the tx, you just need to fly it. Often you need rudder and aileron in opposite directions to keep it going where you want it to. It sounds horrendous but its fine and just takes a little practice. 

This is a (sadly slightly fuzzy) photo early in its life, its not so clean any more. 

large.557178.jpg.a7140c72d02622bb636254ab2c454cf1.jpg

• Like 1

Further to what I was saying about rigging and warps recently, the Legionaire benefits from a thorough check. The lower mainplane is very flimsy and the example that I was sorting out for my friend had developed a terrible warp (poor storage) and the cabanes and struts were a bit out as well- much improved performance once sorted. Agree with Jon's assessment of its characteristics, ours behaved in exactly the same manner. Wish we'd thought to mod the undercart as well. Makes you wonder how the full size version (Nieuport) which the model is loosly based on, behaved in the air, particularly with the additional gyroscopic effects of its rotary engine added to the mix.

A nice model to see flying despite its 'interesting' characteristics and well worth the effort to get right.

Edited by Cuban8

1 hour ago, Cuban8 said:

The lower mainplane is very flimsy

Yep i forgot to mention that before every flight i visually check the lower wing is straight. it only has one bolt securing it to the interplane struts so it can twist very easily should a wing tip hit the ground when landing. 

Other things that spring to mind now i think about it. The ailerons are relatively ineffective as they are small and only on the top wing. They also create massive adverse yaw even with some differential applied and under certain circumstances the adverse yaw is powerful enough to cancel out the roll command completely if you do not use rudder to cancel out the yaw. You can use this to your advantage though and smash full right aileron to do a fantastic handbrake turn to the left. This happens as the down going left aileron creates so much drag the model will yaw substantially to the left. At the right speed, and combined with left rudder the thing will turn almost on the spot. 

Again this all sounds horrendously complicated but its great fun once you get the hang of it. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Paul W said:

Hello

Is it possible to share a copy of the plans for the Legionnaire

I also have a fuselage only and want to build a set of wings to complete the aircraft. Paul

Download the copy near the top of the thread.