Parallel charging multi Lipo packs

Tim Mackey

Most peeps know that I am a fan of charging same cell count Lipo packs in parallel to speed up things when recharging, especially at the field. Connecting the balance taps in parallel ( IN THE EXACT CORRECT CONFIGURATION OF COURSE ) also, means that all cells will get balanced also, and if using lowish currents ( up to around 1A ) there is only need to connect the main charger leads to one of the packs...... charge current wil flow into the others through the balance leads. I have made up a small multi way board which I call a "Parallel balance board" using perforated veroboard and a few connecting links underneath. All that is required is to connect each socket's negative pins together, and subsequent cell connectors in order.

I have fitted 2 x 5 way, 2 x 4 way, 4 x 2 way and 6 x 3 way balance sockets as this suits my likely needs.

It means that I can now charge up to 6 3s packs all together, and they all balance each other out during the process.... other combos as well of course as per the layout of the board above.

ONLY charge multiple packs of the same cell count, and at roughly the same charge state together, and all will be well.

It works a treat, and heres a few pictures to illustrate things. Any more info ?  just shout!

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/eunos800/generalview.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/eunos800/3X3S.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/eunos800/3X3scellcount.jpg

Cleverness and cunningness to the highest degree! I wont ever try something like that, I dont trust myself with one Lipo pack let alone however many u've got going at one time! but it sure does look good. How did you work this out, or did you get the idea from somewhere else? (or am i being a complete numpty?!)

Pretty simple actually Ben. The connection layout of the veroboard just ensures that each little balance socket is connected in parallel to one another, and the main lead to the chargers balance unit  is connected to the largest of these sockets  ( in this version the top 5 pin one ). Heres a crude sketch of what I mean.

It should be legible if clicked to full size.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/eunos800/schematic.jpg

When each battery is plugged into the respective balance socket on the board, this also then configures each cell  to "pair up" with the same cell in each additional battery plugged in. This pairing off via the balance plugs very effectively ensures each cell balances its partner. 2 x 3s batteries for instance would then be paralled up, but each of the 3 cells in each battery will also pair up ( again in parallel ) with its partner cell in the other battery. What you end up with is one larger 3s2P battery. Maybe this second picture will help.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/eunos800/2x3sschematic.jpg

The individual cell taps are connected together by the sockets as mentioned above - this is represented by the semicircular dotted pencil lines in sketch two. By virtue of the fact that the two end taps are connected to the battery main terminals also, ensures the two batteries ( as a whole ) are also connected together in parallel, so therefore connecting the main charger output leads to ANY of the batteries main terminals will suffice. Charge current is fed to each battery via these balance tap leads, and as long as it does not exceed around 1 A or so, then all will be well. Higher charge currents just means connecting the battery main leads together also with a suitable parallel harness. The actual balancing currents passed by the balance wires is usually only a few hundrerd millivolts at max, so these wires ( and the veroboard strips ) would not normally carry large currents. 

I hope this makes sense

Hi Stephen - no the correct 1C charge rate is whatever the sum of the packs under charge equals. So, for 3 X 1250 maH packs thats 3 x 1250 = 3750..or the closest to it - lower NOT higher. So in this case 3.5A.

Assuming the packs did not realy need much balancing, then it will take 1 hour approximately - however how long it takes depends on 3 things....none of which I know in your particular case .

1) The state of unbalance of the packs under charge

2) At what stage of the CCCV stage the balancer kicks in

3) The bleed current of the balancer.

My particualr balancer can be set to only start working when the packs are nearly full ( CV stage ) as this speeds things up alot. Balancing when the packs are empty / near empty is pretty futile.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Ok Tim cracking Idea I currently charge my packs using an oldish Jammara "LIcharge 3" which limits me to 3s bty's. and a dual sky standalone balancer. so I can keep a track of how much a bty is taking I've wired an MPI dc watt meter between them. not a clear pic but I'm guessing you get the picture

Now my question this charger / balncer combination charges through the balance leads only would your system work ok in this situation?
the charger can only charge at a max of 2amps so I realise this would limit me to a couple of 1000mah bty's or things would take some time however all my air craft at present use either 620mah2s1p. or 1300mah3s1p or 1800mah3s1p btys the 1800's also get used in paralell to give me a 3600 bty and at 2amps this would take close to 2 hrs but I'm guessing quicker than charging each bty at 1.5amps individually

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Phil - sorry I missed this post until now
Are you certain that the charger charges through the balance tap leads ? The reason I ask is that even 2A is a quite high current for the weedy leads and connector, and although I dont know this particular model, I can only see in the picture two main lead output sockets??
Anyway, the answer is still yes - you can parallel them up and charge together.

the output jacks of the charger are connected to a "watt meter" (so I can record tot imput to keep an eye on bty performance) this is connected directly to an "inline balancer" the output terminal off which is the jst-xh port. suprisingly this unit never gets warm and it works fine with smaller btys (up to 2000mah) at <1c
I must point out that wjhen I bought these Items they cost a good bit less than they doo now and the only leccy model I had was a twister bell 47 running 620/800mah 2s1p LiPo's now I'm totally leccy I really am looking for a more capable setup and your advice is being acted upon as we speak

Ah ...so its the balancer that solely connects to the balance plug on the battery not the actual charger - sorry I was being thick
In this case, to benefit form true cell equalising parallel charging then obviously you must connect all balance plugs together in paralle and in the correct sequence IYSWIM.

""ONLY charge multiple packs of the same cell count, and at roughly the same charge state together, and all will be well""

Timbo
how close do you define "roughly the same charge state"  ??

I am not familiar enough with lipos being connected in parallel but I would anticipate that with low internal resistance of these batteries, that connecting them together like this could result in heavy current flows as they balance between one another.

Do you have a guideline to follow such as connect together when no more than 0.X volts apart 

thanks

John

Well if you feel confident about soldering etc, then you couldmake one up, with either short patch leads with sockets on the one end, and a single plug on 'tother. I use old sockets of old balance boards., and bits of veroboard to hold em. Otherwise, check around for suitable leads from BRC and the like.
If all else fails, let me know, and I will make one up for ya.

Hi Timbo,
                  had a good hunt around but no joy, nothing at Maplins and nowt on eBay at present, what I want to do is charge my 7.4v packs in pairs and my 11.1v ditto.
I have loads of Deans plugs and sockets and plenty of red JST(?) plugs and sockets to make charging leads but nothing for the balance side of things, quite willing to pay for the bits if you have any spares,

regards,      Terry