Linear Servos

gangster

Ok, so whatever happened to linear servos,? why are they no longer popular and readily available.

It cannot be size, the old Skyleader SRC1 were no bigger than a standard 148 type servo today, it cannot be cost either.

In my opinion they were perfect ,why have a rotary movement to create a straight movement.?

Your thoughts please

Advert

Yes, you didn't need to bother with servo reversing either! On my old Bonner Digimite, the servos are completely symmetrical. If you want to reverse it, you simply take it out, rotate throught 180 degrees and put it back!

The "Microprop" servos used by Sprengbrook were pretty good too!

And they were perfect for mounting in wings to drive conventional ailerons......!

I've still got a few Dunhams servos that had both linear and rotary outputs!

--

Pete

• 3 years later...
Something to add about linear servo outputs, they are vulnerable to ingesting dirt and other debris, like sand. I used to do a lot of slope soaring at warren dunes state (michigan) park. Sand got into everything! I had to remover the linear racks and cover the slots with tape and use the rotary outputs. Open gimbals in the transmitter sticks proved equally susceptible to sand. Had to switch transmitters to fix that. To this day, I avoid open-gimbal TX's and linear rack servos. If nothing else the rotary output is resistant to ingesting dirt.