Aeroplane Dollys

Dean  Hunter

Advert

Dean, you have really got to think about where you are going to fly this Spitfire. You could build a dolly, there are a number of possibilities of layout, and steering is always going to be a problem, but you will need a hard level surface to take off and a soft grass area to land on. What damage will repeated belly landings do to the underside? There should be a radiator projecting underneath, what is going to happen to that? And is there no possibility of fitting retracts?

Hand launching seems like a simple and good idea. I beg to differ! I have done many ROG and hand launches, usually successfully. However, when you commit your lovely model to the air by chucking it, there is no way of knowing how it will react, especially if you are launching it yourself. I have seen my mate, very recently in fact, hand launch his one off colour scheme Ripmax Spit' for the first time. It ended in total destruction not 10m in front of his feet.

The trouble with hand launches is that there is total commitment instantly, and not always enough time to react the right way. It is a bit like someone handing you the transmitter just before an imminent crash. If you must do this, then get a mate to help you.

Once you have flown the plane and trimmed it, the next launch should be safer. Also of course, a lot depends on the power and weight of the plane. I also witness a Twister EDF with nearly 800watts of power lumber into the air on a regular basis, and is a case of holding your breath as it nearly skims the grass, (and sometimes does) yet probably touches over 100mph when up to speed.

Ok, my comments are light hearted, but I do suggest you get someone to help you on your first attempt at least. Happy launching.

I entirely agree, Kelvin. Although when I flew my E-flite P38 for the first time I hand launched it. Then I fitted the U/C and continued to do ROG. I know that's kinda' backwards, but that's just me. I've since removed it again as it flies faster and smoother without it. I just love doing proper take offs and landings, but the P38 doesn't look right with its legs hanging in the breeze.