A bigger DH Venom

I did sort of maiden the bigger Venom a couple of days ago. I say 'sort of' because the CofG was a bit too far aft.

The result was a huge PIO, climbed away far too steep, panic reaction to get the nose down went straight into a vertical dive and all at no more than 25 ft. I did manage to close the throttle and pull out as it contacted the ground.

No daamge apart from the printed nose cone. It now has a 'heavy' weight printed nose cone. 😉

HeavyNose.JPG.b525b7503293bddda230172e8211abb7.JPG

I am also tempted to 'rob' the gyro Rx from of the Hawker Hunter as it reacts far faster than I can. It is also switchable 'off' in flight so I can satisfly myself it will fly unassisted.

It was afterall in the Hunter for exactly that reason.  

The saga continues.

With the heavy nose cone and some lead it did fly, Two full circuits, rather fast and still twitchy. Not nice to fly at all. A rather heavy "dead stop" landing in the long grass. Cracked both tail booms but  easy repair.

Dduring construction  I did not set the tail booms at the correct angle with the result the exhaust stream is rather close to the tail plane which could be contributing to the twitchiness. The "up" angle of the booms is quite noticeable.

FB4TailBoom.jpg.98c4cd9832f223c7183ba166673a1193.jpg

I can't do anything about the boom angle but I can add a 'spacer' between the tail boom and tail plane to raise it up.

A before and after shot of the tail plane relative to the exhaust.

TailRaised.JPG.a631921b36565d7e0ac247e5e3467f50.JPG

At the same time I added a bit to the decalage to improve the longitudinal stability. In the original layout it was set virtually zero/zero. I suspect it was flying "on the elevator". Such a configuration might be ok for pattern aerobatics but far from ideal on an untried new design.

We shall see.

Took a bit of setting up both to get the right decalage, I had to insert a further tapered skin insert between the boom and the tailplane as well as using a slightly longer nose cone to move the battery forward a couple of mm.

Anyway it looks the same and it now flies pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGAJoYhrwR

It flies fast although much of the flight was at reduced throttle which is why I did not worry too much at the 3 minute transmitter warning. At full power (18A) 3 minutes is absolute maximum you could expect from its 1800mAh 3s.😉

The final job is to design and print a proper Swiss long nose.

SwissVenom3.jpg.3f8ef10808509efcafe4707cf9c4ed72.jpg

Not exactly pretty. Apparently the Swiss put some additional electronics in the nose but had to leave the lower part of the cowling as original to allow the nose wheel hinge and door.

• Like 1