Kwik Fli III build

And so it begins.

Short kit from Caramba. https://carambamodels.com/joomla/en/short-kits/nostalgia/234-kwilk-fli-mk3

Spent an hour this afternoon plucking out the laser cut parts - easy job. A few of the 6mm sheets were ever so slightly cupped however I'm not seeing a problem.

It'll be electrically powered with a setup that weighs about the same as the OS AX55, which was the alternative.

Kwik fli 1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

57 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

I got the German full kit, I only hope that your kit is what is on the plan, mine wasn't, I also fitted retracts to mine, and of course ic,,,

So far so good. Only one part number on the laser cut sheets (N19, which is a part wing rib) that doesn't have a home on the plan, but not a big deal. Not on  the wing plan, or the part checkoff sheet. Probably an artefact from the development process. Weighs 0.7 grammes per side so I'll improvise them in rather than throw away. I contemplated cutting all the parts myself from an Outerzone plan; glad I didn't 😉

For me, electric is prime path at present, but I'm not wedded to it. A 6S4200** based powertrain weighs about the same as an OS55AX however has a different potential weight distribution. I'm starting to keep track of sub assembly and major part weights and moments so I don't get any nasty weight or CoG surprises at the end. I'll probably use HiTec mighty mini servos and have the option to put some at the back end, if need be.

** 6S probably a bit OTT however I have 4 of that size already and at 600g per pack are at the lighter end of the scale. I don't wish to have to have yet another set of lipos to buy and manage. I'll review before I start the fuz. A motor of around 600Kv will allow a prop similar to IC size for ground clearance.

Retracts aren't part of this build for me. I did wonder about building as a tail dragger as I fly off grass, however decided to stick with tradition.

I'm pretty sure I saw a thread about your build somewhere. Here of RCG?

Kwik wing.jpg