Neuron II LUA script problem

Tim Kearsley

Has anyone purchased one of the new Neuron II ESCs and tried to configure parameters via the LUA script on an OpenTx radio?

I'm trying to set up a Neuron II 60A ESC on a Horus X10S Express and the LUA script (FrSky ESC.lua), downloaded from the FrSky website, doesn't populate any of the parameters.  Telemetry from the ESC is working fine and I can see values for ESC current, ESC voltage, BEC voltage etc, etc.

At the moment, stumped!

4 hours ago, Tim Kearsley said:

Thanks Andy.  Soon after I posted the question I saw that.  So now I need to buy myself the STK tool!  Sometimes this hobby feels like wading through treacle!

Maybe a dumb comment, but can you use the URART pins in the JR bay in the TX to do the upgrade in the same way as you use it for flashing receivers?

From my memory, the STK tool has two sets of 3pin outputs and a switch, you use one set and one sw position for flashing receivers and the other for programming things like stabilised s6r. As long as the Neuron instructions say to use the same configuration for connecting the STK for flashing rx I'd be tempted to use the JR bay after triple checking the polarity and voltage of the power pins!

Well this really isn't going well!

The FrSky STK tool arrived today.  I downloaded the Windows driver and installed it.  The virtual COM port defaults to COM3.  Connected up the Neuron II ESC as described in the instructions online, (PWM signal + ground), power up the ESC, click Connect on the configuration web page and it simply doesn't see the ESC at all.

I've tried removing the virtual COM port, reinstalling the driver, various combinations of port and DIP switch setting on the STK and all make no apparent difference whatsoever.  I've checked cables and all are OK. 

I'm open to all reasonable suggestions!

Zflyer, you are very welcome to butt in at any time!

Yes, I've downloaded and installed the driver CP210 from Silicon Labs.  Device Manager shows it, defaulting to COM3.  The FrSky configurator page seems to find it OK.

I'm wondering if there's some security issue somewhere in Windows 11 that's preventing proper communication. 

This morning, as an experiment, I tried l installing the CP210 driver on to an old desktop PC running Windows 7.  The result was exactly the same, it apparently scans but fails to find the connected ESC.  So at the moment I'm stuck, unable to configure the ESC because my Horus X10S running OpenTx won't run the LUA script FrSky provide and I can't upgrade the firmware on the ESC because the STK tool fails to work.  Not impressed, FrSky!

21 hours ago, Tim Kearsley said:

. . .  Connected up the Neuron II ESC as described in the instructions online, (PWM signal + ground), power up the ESC, click Connect on the configuration web page and it simply doesn't see the ESC at all.

I would expect to connect the STK to the SPort signal for an upgrade. Looking at the instructions (I don't have a Neuron II) it doesn't look clear where the green connection goes!

Mike

Thanks Mike.  Well the Neuron II is different from the original Neurons in that it has flying leads rather than a PWM and SPort connector.  The FrSky docs clearly show the PWM wires being used for upgrade.  I remember configuring the original Neurons with the BlHeli software and it was the PWM connector used then.

OK, solved this now.  Despite the FrSky docs clearly showing the PWM wires being used for the connection to the STK, it is, as Mike suggested, the S-port that is used.  Having sorted that, I updated the ESC firmware to the latest.  The reason for doing this was that the comments against the firmware suggested that it might fix the LUA config script not working on OpenTx radios.  Sadly, this is not the case.  I can update the config using the STK but it would be rather more convenient doing it from the Tx.  Still, I can live with that.  Thanks to all who offered help. 

• Like 2