Volantex Ranger 600 motor running 3/4 speed

Pedro Jaemz

Hi,

I'm new to the site and hoping someone has some experience with this issue. 

I've flown my Ranger 600 about 12 times now and am really enjoying learning how to fly it. Great beginner plane for sure. However, I noticed that after about the 6th time flying for about 30 minutes (using 4 different batteries) the plane is slower on every battery than when first purchased. The light on the charger typically goes out within the first 30 minutes to an hour of charging. But I charge them all for the 3 hours regardless. Not sure if the problem is battery related or not.

Also, I replaced the prop after it flew off one day when I hit it with my finger. Not sure, but it may have been around that time when the speed slowed down. Based on what I read about the replacement prop, I'm pretty sure I put it on in the correct direction with the stamped characters facing the rear of the plane. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!   And happy (con)trails!

Edited by Pedro Jaemz

Advert

As a general rule, the moulded characters on a prop (usually the diameter x pitch, e.g. 6 x 4) face forwards, regardless of whether it's a 'pusher' or a 'puller' (or 'tractor').

Is it just screwed on and relying on the motor rotation to keep it there?  That might explain why it spun off if you hit it.

Hello Mike!

Thanks for the response. The replacement prop is seated by just pushing it on the motor's shaft. The replacement prop didn't come off, but rather the factory-installed original did when I hit it. I'll try reversing the orientation of the prop.

Thanks again!  

• Like 1

Hi Perdo

My club has a Ranger 600, which we use as an RC trainer at a small playing-field site.  It's an excellent little model which, flown within its limitations, can provide a great introduction to RC at low cost and minimal risk.  However, it's prone to minor malfunctions, most of which are easy to resolve if you know what to do.

Consequently, I'd strongly advise you to contact your nearest model flying club and ask them for advice. Even if you don’t intend to join, I'm sure that someone would be only too happy to take a look it for you; most clubs are keen to encourage beginners.  They might also show you how to get the best out of the model in the air.

Regarding your specific problem, I assume you mean that the motor seems to be running more slowly than it was.  Do you have a way of checking your battery's voltage? The Ranger 600 uses a 1S 380mah lipo, so a fully charged battery should be very close to - but not above - 4.20 volts.  If it's not, your charger or your battery might be faulty.  Lipo voltage checkers are very cheap and worth every penny.  

If you run your Ranger 600 for too long using a partially charged battery, you risk damaging that battery.  You shouldn't allow it to discharge much below 3.70 volts; damage is likely to occur below 3.00 volts.  Of course, without a voltage checker, you'll have no way of knowing what it is.

I hope this helps.  Most importantly, help from an experienced flyer can save you a great deal of frustration and possibly cost too.  Usually, the best place to find one is your local club.

Happy flying

Simon

Hi again Pedro - just one more thought: when you replaced the propeller, is there a chance that you pushed it on too far?  I think this would be easy to do, and the propeller boss could rub against the motor.  This would certainly slow it down.  Make sure that there's a visible gap (see below).

Simon

20230824_211726.thumb.jpg.f1840616ee24e13cf3a15bbcd1f702f7.jpg

• 1 month later...