Airbrush thinners

I normally airbrush my modells using Humbrol enamel.

I had nearly run out of Humbrol thinners and bought a can of the stuff. It cost me £3, for 125cl, which is a lot more than the £1.5 for 250cl a few years back (must have been befor e the turn of the century).

I then wondered if any others have used satisfactory alternatives which ar better value for money.

Still swear by the paints though, and these seem far dearer than they once were.

Erfolg

Advert

David

This is rather disturbing I have a can of universal thinners 1lt, staring at me on  a shelve in front of me, bought from Lidels.

It is for solvent containingnitro-cellulose, combination paints, pur paints, chlorinated rubber based paints, will it work, do you think?

Erfolg

Well they do say that paints should be thinned with what the manufacturer recommends as it can vary. For instance you would have thought that water would be ideal for thinning water based acrylics but that's not always the case.

You can only have a try and see how you get on Erfolg ........paint a piece of scrap first, leave it and see what the finish is like?

With Humbrol enamels white spirit can be OK as a thinner with some of the range, but it can also produce an unsightly  'bloom' with other colours, so test first, I've had very poor results with matt paints and white spirit for example. It is ideal and much cheaper for cleaning equipment though so I keep the posh stuff for thinning and the white spirit for cleaning.

Andy, they are not fuel proof (I asked Humbrol several years ago). They can be fuel proofed but I have never tried the Flair product. I would advise though avoiding anything cellulose based directly over enamels but someone will know what works.

Gemma

I to use white spirit for cleaning and use humbrol thinners for diluting.

I was somewhat suprised at the high cost of Humbrol thinners for such a small quantity, which is half the quantity of the size previously used.

With acrylics it must depend on the brand, as i have diluted with water. I personally use art acrylics, and then finish with the sealant sprayed on.

Inks work well on non scale models, as you can get interesting effects due to the transparency. For solids you need to add, the media to make opaque.

Erfolg