Raptor - amazing display of not flying !!!

Phil Green

Yes, wouldn't have minded seeing that at the recent Clacton Airshow........never would happen in the UK now with the new airshow regulations that have come about in recent years. Arguably, with regulations that have spoilt the major airshows that I used to attend regularly. The crowd line at Duxford has been pulled back considerably over the last 30 years - from cars and occupants on the grass outfield to now viewing the flying from the hardstand. The display line has also been moved away and back to the south as well. TBH, fast jets are a waste of time now at Duxford in my opinion........a quick fast pass and then ages to turn wide and repeat.

Back in the day, myself and Mrs C8 (and other spectators) used to seat ourselves at the extreme Eastern end of the airfield, and with the much closer flight line would be treated to the occasional warbird coming in a tad too tight and passing very low and overhead. Very exciting indeed.

Post Ramstein, that all came to an end, and with other terrible accidents over the years, quite rightly what was OK in the 50s, 60s, and 70s ceased to be allowed. I'm not going to suggest that the changes were unnecessary - something had to give of course - but I do miss the spectacle.