GWS Formosa

michael brigg

hi all don't suppose anybody is still flying a gws foamosa mk2, mine is battered and torn  but still fly's like new

I've repaired is so many times only because its probably the best foamy I've ever had, i know its ugly but this is the 1st plane that changed my mind about balsa v foam what's your thoughts

IMG_4135.jpg

IMG_4133.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

They're brilliant little models. 

I have one NIB but without a cowl and one that was given to me ready built but without a receiver.  I had an 'incident' earlier this year with thhe one I'd been given. It went dead stick in flight. I assumed the battery had fully discharged but I was able to land it gently. It turned out that the motor had escaped (it had a clamp arrangement) I'd never checked it as the guy who gave it to me is one of the best builders in the club. Unfortunately it destroyed the cowl. I never found the motor but I found a substitute and now it flies cowlless but just as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

I dug mine out and popped a small brushless motor into it and flew it a year or so ago but to be honest, it didn’t inspire me greatly although it was a favourite back in the day when most electric models would struggle to loop from level flight.  I might try upping the power a bit one day. 

defiantly upgrade motor go for it I've had a long break from flying this model and the original acrowot got me flying again

6 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

They're brilliant little models. 

I have one NIB but without a cowl and one that was given to me ready built but without a receiver.  I had an 'incident' earlier this year with thhe one I'd been given. It went dead stick in flight. I assumed the battery had fully discharged but I was able to land it gently. It turned out that the motor had escaped (it had a clamp arrangement) I'd never checked it as the guy who gave it to me is one of the best builders in the club. Unfortunately it destroyed the cowl. I never found the motor but I found a substitute and now it flies cowlless but just as well.

hi geoff yeh my cowl is well taped up [duct tape] saved the day I've had a long break from flying ,this plane and the original acrowot got me flying again

Still  got a mark 1. Last flown in 2019 though. Used an assortment of brushed motors in gearboxes and brushless motors over the years, starting with 2S and 75W, eventually ending up on 3S and 160W. I think the control surfaces might have been blowing back at times with the higher power but it still flew brilliantly for what it is. I liked it so much I went to the bother of making a new cowl from a lemonade bottle. Being made of polystyrene it's looking pretty rough, but not as bad as the one in the OP's pictures!