Confidence

Stephen Grigg

• 4 weeks later...
Advert

I have to admit that im struggling with I/C and although my instructor is an absolute diamond and ive now3 ready to go I/c for this year By the time ive managed to get the model running and ready for flight I want to sit and have a cuppa before I fly it,the problem is I dont drink cuppas.My most enjoyable flying was with a MPX Easicub.Having just read David Asbys excellant review on the MPX Mentor Ive ordered one.I think at present I feel more comfotable with electric and ill get more stick time and can build back up to I/C inthe summer.Ive read in some threads how qiute experianced flyers will fly an easier hack first and if its all going well ,will then put the pride and joy in the air.If things arent switced on that day they stick with the hack.Ive a sorted Twinstar that needs flying and a Greensleeves so im ready when business worries calm down.

stephen--don't give up---when i was learning 88-89-i got talking to one of the established club flyers/members who was and still is a really good flyer--i told him that my stomach was turning over as soon as i entered the flying club field(nerves)he told me he was exactly the same when he was learning! the thing is don't try different model's that will come later-stick with the same model(a high wing trainer)don't even think of flying anything else-what i was told was i needed aprox 30 flight's high up with someone beside me-and when the controlling of the plane became second nature-then i could come down lower and look at the plane and some ground-and then when i was happy-i could attempt to land--it probably took me 12 month's before i felt happy on my own---this after taking my model home in kit form on many an occasion--honest stick at it-but do'nt jump on to other models yet--the old expression walk before you run comes to mind--i used to feel it was the end of the world also when i used to crash/break my good old yamamoto-draw up a plan of action and stick to it............

ken anderson................................

Thanks a lot Ken,ive models everywhere I know im not good enough to fly so IM doing exacly as you say.With the credit  crunch I had to make some dramatic decisions with my business, reduce it to a minimum to survive,so on the 1 1 09 I opened the door to a new business ,that was how I had to look at it.and with my flying Ive gone back to where i was happiest and im taking it from there but with ailerons

• 1 year later...
I was talking to someone at the field about this the other day.Its interesting to read through this thread again and compare where Im at now.I think my confidence came back by flying my Super Scorpion.Lots of time to do things but as it didnt want to land,you had to get it low along way away so you had to get used to low flying for a longer period of time,but had the time to do things because of the slowness of the model.Yesterday in the wind I flew the Mamselle,I found myself doing more stick work than with any other model because the wind was making it veer all over the place,good for the concentration.A collegue who oozes confidence had an awful dayHis twin lost an engine and he slightly damaged in on landing.Once repaire his u/c became stuck halfway and he tried to land in some long gras and missedit completely.Flew his Boomerang and lost the on board battery,only bent the front wheel,but this had him giving up a bit dejected.Ive come a long way since starting this thread

Hi Steve, Just spotted this thread. Crikey, you sound just like me. I spend ages fixing and fettling and a million reasons not to fly - reason is, I'm still learning and often have "mishaps"! I think Gemma and others got it spot on. Find a model that you are really confident with ( mine was an Easystar but now is a PZ Mustang). Make this your first flight of the session. This will give you the confidence to move on to whatever else you have with you that's set your knees knocking. I have a Funjet with the Ultra tuning set and it always broke me out in a sweat when flying. On this basis I only flew it after I'd flown the Mustang. Funny thing was I took the Funjet to the club last week to let one of the better Funjet pilots fly it....his view was the set up was all wrong and it was very difficult to fly ,"quite a handful" . The point is, sometimes it's the model and not you! As others have said, analyse the disasters. You may be being nervous for no reason at all...

Oooops, silly me - should check the dates on these blogs.
Still, maybe of use to anyone with a similar problem.
My current Bete Noir is strong wind. It always makes me retire to the building board in preference to the flying field however - I have now found a solution.
The MX2 that I've been moaning about and fixing and crashing and re-building has me so wound up I don't care what happens to it. On that basis I just took it out and flew it despite the very breezy conditions. Guess what....it performed perfectly right down to a virtually static landing - maybe this thing will finally give me the confidence to fly whatever the wind conditions.
(Think I should fill the nose with lead and take it up the Orme...