Riddle me this ?

kevin b

They've done it again !!!

Can anybody explain why it is that the free magazine plan this month has the two halves of the fuselage printed on both sides of the same piece of paper ?

In olden days they would have printed the halves on the same side, or on the reverse of the wing sheet (and vice versa).

It doesn't particularly bother me as I can scan and print out after joining them.

However there are probably quite a few readers who are peeved about receiving a "free plan", only to have to go and get it scaned or buy another copy in order to build the model.

I am also given to understand from others that if you buy an addition plan from Sarik that you get exactly the same as is in the magazine.

I might have thought that this was a one off, but it seems to happen every time the plan is over 2 issues.

Obviously this is done deliberately, but can somebody tell me why ?

• Sad 1

• 5 weeks later...

The SZD Foka 4 plan.

If anybody can tell me a way to attach the parts of the fuselage plan to form a full plan without having a second copy of the plan, I would be glad to hear.

If anyone has sent off to Sarik for  a second plan, can they tell me if they have recieved a "full" plan or just a copy of what was in the magazine.

Also, if you read the caveat printed on the plan you are not allowed to copy the plan without written permission.

I assume that includes tracing it so that you can join the parts together.

So. Is it a free plan ? Or is it part of a plan that you have to purchase another from the publisher (or their agent) in order to build the model.

If that is the case are the pubishers in breach of advertising law regarding "free gifts" (as stated on the cover of the magazine).

Please note that there is no mention in the caveat regarding "for commercial gain".

Yes, I am being pedantic. However many years ago free plans were printed in such a fashion that the parts could be cut out (once templates had been made) in order to build from them. Ther is no reason why this could not have been done with this plan. After all, it is a 4 sheet plan !

This is not the first time that this has happened.

Maybe the cost of employing a proof reader is too much for the publishers to bear ?

I did notice that there was a similar "screw up" recently in the Model Boats Magazine regarding a plan.

Are standards dropping, or is it that the editors are under such intense pressure ?

Please note that this post has been created with tongue firmly in cheek as generally I find the magazine to be of good quality.

Sometimes we all need a kick up the bum !

Agreed, an occasional well aimed kick up the posterior when appropriate doesn't go amiss, but I don't think anyone needs to be lacing up their hobnails in this particular case 😂 There is logical & practical consideration behind the layout of the Foka plan - given the fact it appears over two issues, having all of the fuselage on both sides of the same sheet meant the builder can make a start (even if they do need to copy or trace) while waiting for the wings & tailplane to be published. If there was half a fuselage on one side & half a wing on the other, I can imagine that would raise all manner of comments 🤭 And since it's a good size aeroplane, there's a restriction & limitations on layout caused by the paper size, regardless that there are 4 sheets.

I don't think anyone would argue it's a free plan or be overly upset about any possible breached advertising laws - to buy the plan it's £17, the reader doesn't pay that, so.. it's free 🤷‍♂️ Any expenses etc. after that are the builder's responsibility. And we all know by now it's OK to copy or trace the parts for our own use 😊

Most likely, many years ago such large designs would probably have been printed through the old 'plans service' where the paper size was only limited vertically as it came off a roll, so there wasn't the need to section the drawing. And proof reading doesn't make more drawing fit on the same size paper 😂

The Model Boats plan you refer to was down to a design misunderstanding - nobody's perfect & we all make mistakes 🙃 but I don't think anyone could say the Foka plan is a 'screw up' in any way.

• Like 1

Good answer Graham. I agree it is frustrating Kevin but like Graham said if someone had wanted to start building the Foka 4  last month they would have had only half a wing and half a fuselage which would have have been equally frustrating 😭. It is a big, complicated model so perhaps buying another plan or getting it copied is not too onerous a task in the circumstances.