Lidl Big Bird 2 build blog Part 2 + useful tips. Is this plane jinxed?

Part 2 of my Lidl Big Bird build blog and a few of my tips for anyone thinking of making a Lidl foamie chuck glider RC conversion. I was hoping to maiden it, but I think it may be jinxed, cos it didn't work out that way as you'll see in the video! 😟

Well done  Bonzo Moon. I like your video👍 I bought a cheap SH foam glider from LMS for £6 as I was bored after Christmas and the field was cold and muddy  . Thought it was a Lidl jobbie but looks a bit different to your model.

I stiffened the wings with carbon strip 1mm x 5mm and tail with 1mmx 3mm and fitted a 5mm carbon rod wing joiner. Elev servo was mounted under the centre of wing and some snake inner was use for the snake outer and 28g piano wire used for the snake , Horns cut from 1mm paxolin . The motor I used is way over the top at 2750 Kv but hey that's what the throttle is for . Battery is a 1250 3s fitted in a slot cut in the fuz opposite the wing servo . Test flight after a quick test glide and increasing Elev throw was excellent. Vertical performance is a bit OTT for a light foamy . All Painted now in bright red . I used cheap aerosols from local shop . Pics later .

Great fun per £ as most stuff came from the spares and scrap box total cost was £14 inc the £6 for the plane .

If anyone can identify the plane. It was just white foam with a two piece wings that plug in and a giant ball bearing in the nose . 

20240210_141427.jpg

20240210_141442.jpg

20240210_141456.jpg

PS Dont excuse the untidy workshop its always like that ☺️

20240210_141533.jpg

Edited by Engine Doctor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

Well done  Bonzo Moon. I like your video👍 I bought a cheap SH foam glider from LMS for £6 as I was bored after Christmas and the field was cold and muddy  . Thought it was a Lidl jobbie but looks a bit different to your model.

I stiffened the wings with carbon strip 1mm x 5mm and tail with 1mmx 3mm and fitted a 5mm carbon rod wing joiner. Elev servo was mounted under the centre of wing and some snake inner was use for the snake outer and 28g piano wire used for the snake , Horns cut from 1mm paxolin . The motor I used is way over the top at 2750 Kv but hey that's what the throttle is for . Battery is a 1250 3s fitted in a slot cut in the fuz opposite the wing servo . Test flight after a quick test glide and increasing Elev throw was excellent. Vertical performance is a bit OTT for a light foamy . All Painted now in bright red . I used cheap aerosols from local shop . Pics later .

Great fun per £ as most stuff came from the spares and scrap box total cost was £14 inc the £6 for the plane .

If anyone can identify the plane. It was just white foam with a two piece wings that plug in and a giant ball bearing in the nose . 

20240210_141427.jpg

20240210_141442.jpg

20240210_141456.jpg

PS Dont excuse the untidy workshop its always like that ☺️

20240210_141533.jpg

That looks great mate!  And I bet it goes well with that big motor. I've built 10 of the big Lidl's now and on my 1st I fitted an A2212  6T 1600kv ,  plus lots of carbon.  It ended up quite heavy,  but was fast. Nowadays I keep them light and use BR1806.  Tiny little motor but it's  more than enough.  I've never tried painting a foamie.  Worry that it'll melt the foam, mind you the Lidl are coloured foam so don't really need paint.  They are great fun for experimenting with. 

I've got about 3 planes  needing test flights at the moment,  but weather has been bad for weeks.  Very frustrating! 

Good luck wigh tesf flights Bonzo . EPP  foam isnt harmed with most solvent based paint but do a check first odinary Polystyrene foam just melt with most solvents but takes artist water based acrylics well then a coat of Rpnseal waterbased clear to seal it. 

As I said I thought mine was a Lidl glider , just plain white. Obviuosly not . Anyway it all a bit of fun.

13 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

Good luck wigh tesf flights Bonzo . EPP  foam isnt harmed with most solvent based paint but do a check first odinary Polystyrene foam just melt with most solvents but takes artist water based acrylics well then a coat of Rpnseal waterbased clear to seal it. 

As I said I thought mine was a Lidl glider , just plain white. Obviuosly not . Anyway it all a bit of fun.

Thanks, I'll give it a try sometime!