Aerofly Pro

Kevo

Hi all and Happy New Year. There must be hundreds of my fellow  fllyers out there happily using aerofly pro, so my question is......can some kind soul tell me of an off  the shelf computer that will allow me to use my nice new xmas present .  Two laptop's..................two desktop's all too old

Thanks Kev........................aka  Womble

I imagine its the graphics card that is your problem -AFP does require a decent card with around 256 MB memory or so, and ensure you have good open GL drivers installed too.

Your laptop probably has onboard VGA system with shared memory, so not really easy to change that , but the desktop PCs should be easy enough to swop the card...and relatively cheap too - plenty of suitable cards available on fleabay etc for a few pounds.

Tell us the specs of the desktop PCs and lets see if we can save you a fistful of cash.

Processor type and speeed

PC memory and type

graphics card make and model number /name EG: NVidia 5600 FS or whatever

Hi Timbo, system :-

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (1833mhz)

DDR 1 512/166 mhz

DDR 2 512/166 mhz

Unknown ATI card fitted but have new sapphire HD 2400 pro 256mb 64-bit DDR2 AGP

VGA/TVO/DVI-1 available if any good................. AGP not many cards on this fixing PCI the norm

these days.         Thanks Kev.

go on the Aerofly website, they list compatible hardware including graphics cards.  I'm running an Athlon 2400 with 768Mb of memory and it runs just fine.  The only thing I needed was a compatible graphics card, and NVidea 6200 if I remember rightly, which I think was about £30 from PC World.  the main thing seems to be the ability to run Open-GL2 drivers  Give the Sapphire a try, what can you lose (apart from about 20 mins to fit it).  Set a system restore point before you swap the card to be safe.

I assume you mean DDR type memory in slots 1 and 2 NOT DDR1 and DDR2 - they are not normally found together. That system spec is fine...its the Graphics card as I suspected.

I would fit the Sapphire as Bob suggests - and google around for "OPEN GL" drivers for ir, rather than the crummy ones that usually ship with it. If not, find a cheapy 256MB NVidia card and fit that. One of my older PCs happily runs AFPD in full screen, high detail et al, on what is now quite an old ATI Radeon Pro card.... but it just needed the openGL drivers installing - easily obtained free.... via Google.

Thanks Bob, Timbo, Eric,     I will try out all your suggestions and keep you posted.

Yes you are right Timbo 2 sticks off DDR.........................soz 

Thanks again..................Kev.

Hi Bob,Timbo,Eric, Sapphire Pro didn't work  but have just found a NVidia 6200 on Maplin site £19.99. Have been on google and found lots off openGL stuff, any  favorite sites ?????????? and is there any way of checking  the drives have downloaded correctly.

PS.........Eric .........Filehippo........great stuff.

Thanks all.........Kev.

I assume you are AGP slot then and not PCI express? If so, I reckon it should be OK - I think the later NVidia cards come with decent drivers on the disk  - open GL as well. If after installation it odesnt seem to work, then uninsatll all VGA drivers and use a 3rd party driver.

try here

Incidentally, I assume its  WIN XP operating system?

Also be sure to remove all traces of all existing VGA drivers from the system before fitting /installing the new card.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Update 11/01/09.  Hi chaps, a friend has just lent me his copy off aerofly (version 1.8.0.9) and it runs great  on both desk and laptops I have been on too aerofly but no joy yet (sending new email tonight ) . So your's confused??? Why does the new version not run???? Still thanks to friend i'm getting some practise in at home while i continue to try and sort mine.

Regards Kev.

• 3 weeks later...
Update 31/01/09. Hi, if anyone has a problem with Aerofly pro do not assume that it's your hardware thats the cause. After buying graphics cards etc and many (unanswerd  emails ) to IPACS...............Sussex Model Centre (nice people) checked my discs out and found that i needed to down load a PATCH to allow this (BRAND NEW) SIM to work.

Thanks to those who offerd help

IPACS sim (when running ) GREAT..............................Cusomer service?????? JOKE.

Happy landings all............Kev.