Flair pupperteer mk1

Dwild

I don’t know whether the plans/build instructions were ever modified but I’ve always felt that the design of the lower wing attachment could have been better. 

Many years ago, I had a nasty moment coming out of a loop with mine when I had trouble completing it but managed to pull out before the edge of the air arrived.  I landed, taxied back and checked the control surfaces’ security and movement and looked over the airframe without seeing any apparent problems. 

I decided to see if it was just down to maybe stalling during the recovery and flew some gentle circuits without incident.  I then tried some faster flight with a gentle powered dive.  This time it refused to answer to elevator and luckily, I was in a position to point it at a downslope which kept the ensuing crash damage to an easily repairable minimum.  While trying to pull it out, I noticed the leading edge of the wing hanging an inch or two from the fuselage which explained all!  My airframe “check” had been done with the engine idling and concentrated on the wings, tail etc. while the model was firmly on the ground…

I’d bought the model from a clubmate and silently cursed his bright idea of simply gluing the wing peg locating peg assembly to the surface of the wing.  I made an extended plate which I glued to the inside of the leading edge behind the peg carrier. 

Imagine my surprise when I came across some build instructions which revealed he’d built it as shown!  I’ve often wondered if other Puppeteers have suffered similar fates, perhaps put down to radio or pilot error factors?

IMG_3004.thumb.jpeg.0022be7535d5b704225cf89579c7d409.jpeg

1/8 ply added. 

2 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

I don’t know whether the plans/build instructions were ever modified but I’ve always felt that the design of the lower wing attachment could have been better. 

Many years ago, I had a nasty moment coming out of a loop with mine when I had trouble completing it but managed to pull out before the edge of the air arrived.  I landed, taxied back and checked the control surfaces’ security and movement and looked over the airframe without seeing any apparent problems. 

I decided to see if it was just down to maybe stalling during the recovery and flew some gentle circuits without incident.  I then tried some faster flight with a gentle powered dive.  This time it refused to answer to elevator and luckily, I was in a position to point it at a downslope which kept the ensuing crash damage to an easily repairable minimum.  While trying to pull it out, I noticed the leading edge of the wing hanging an inch or two from the fuselage which explained all!  My airframe “check” had been done with the engine idling and concentrated on the wings, tail etc. while the model was firmly on the ground…

I’d bought the model from a clubmate and silently cursed his bright idea of simply gluing the wing peg locating peg assembly to the surface of the wing.  I made an extended plate which I glued to the inside of the leading edge behind the peg carrier. 

Imagine my surprise when I came across some build instructions which revealed he’d built it as shown!  I’ve often wondered if other Puppeteers have suffered similar fates, perhaps put down to radio or pilot error factors?

IMG_3004.thumb.jpeg.0022be7535d5b704225cf89579c7d409.jpeg

1/8 ply added. 

Cheers I will make sure that it is built with that in mind to strengthen this area up. 👍