And odd thing happened today

winchweight

An odd thing happened today. Well two things really.

Firstly, I was setting up my Tucano for a flight and I switched on my tx, then after a few seconds, my rx. The bind lights illuminated and all was well..... not really. Although I was bound, nothing responded to the sticks! I waggled and waggled, but nada. The volts were fine, the bind lights were steady. So I switched off the rx, and switched on again. The bind happened, but this time all worked just fine. How odd....?

Secondly, my normally sound Tucano has developed a nervous twitch. The ailerons have started glitching and twitching. The port one is by far the worst, but they both do it to a degree. So I checked for metal on metal (nowt), checked for dodgy connections(again nowt), rechecked the battery (fine). I then removed the wing servos and replaced the extension leads (which admitedly had started to crack and break up), but the fault remained. I swapped the leads over, the fault remained. So I must draw the conclusion that the servos are toast. Needless to say I didn't fly it.

Tx = JR DSX9 / Rx = Spektrum AR7000 / Servos = JR591 / Battery = 6v nimh

Advert

I am running all my servos on 6v or higher. using the same radio set up as youself.I have had no problems at all with that . I use Futaba, JR and Hitec . My w4 uses 591 servos on 6v and that's over 3 years old. But it dose seam as if it is a servo problem but not nessaserally caused by voltage. Just change them out and see .

I have had the false bind happen before. Its has happend a couple of times and I am sure it was due to the TX being to close. It was not on the same model that it happend and moving the TX away a little and turning on and off again fixed it. This could be the reason. Thats the only strange thing thats happend to me.

Well there is no such thing really - it either binds properly or it doesnt .

Once bound correctly, there is no way the Rx can lose its bind without user intervention. The usual reasons for an unsuccessful bind is either

Tx too close to Rx and swamping.

Tx not left switched on long enough after bind mode is started

Wrong sequence of events during attempted bind.

The scenario you described was not a binding problem at all. Binding is only ever done ONCE during the initial mating of the Rx to the relevant Tx model memory. Switching on the Tx and then the Rx ( as normal before any  flight ) and the lights on the Rx Going solid is not binding, it is merely the action of the Rx recognizing the unique Tx coding and signal. If for some reason the Rx does not see the Tx signal clearly then it simply fails to respond...... as designed.

It is always good practice - and should be an absolute discipline, to physically check that the Rx is actually sending commands to the model before attempting to launch / take off. I too have occasionally had to "reset" the Tx and rx ( NOT RE-BIND) "switching-on actions" before a solid signal is established between the units. No sweat, and once "connected" have never had a loss of response - ever.

PS metal on metal type glitching is a thing of the past ..... relevant only to those old dinosaurs who still use 35Mhz - the likely culprit in your case was  / is the servo itself....perhaps a dirty pot, poor connection, or voltage overload.

Timbo grabs his DX7 and heads for the door quickly