OS 91 FS Surpass II Noise problem

Nick Holmes 2

Advert

OS do a silencer extension (well, it fits in the middle but you know what I mean ) for some of their engines. Not sure whether there is one available for the OS91 but the one for my 46LA worked brilliantly!

Also, are the wheels a bit loose on the axles? If so, fitting soft nylon washers on each side will help to damp down the vibrations and consequent noise.

Have just changed a 12 X 6 Master series K on my  SC 91a  2 st  for a 14  X  7  Graupner .Much quieter and I suspect enough power for my needs albeit it at higher airspeed although I've not flown it yet  Too cold !

I also have a couple of "extension" silencers made of the small gas lighter refill canisters modified with perforated ali tube  1/8 inch holes -about 20  through  each end held with Araldite  -( yes it holds ) with  stainless steel  scrubber washing up pad shoved loosely in between the canister and the tubing of course  No baffles needed .I did try glass fibre originally but it gets all "gooed  up "-don't see silicone tube advertised any more -Just expensive bent exhaust extensions for blowing goo onto one's underbelly.

, Not very scientific but VERY effective .  You can treat 'er indoors to a pair of scrubbers & nick one  -called killing two birds with one stone  Biggest problem is getting hold of silicone tubing up here  not scrubbers

Reading a mag article from a while ago, the hotter the exhaust the louder it is. The greater the surface area of the muffler the more heat is taken away. It depends on the space you have but from what I understand the expansion chamber as close to the engine as possible and a long tailpipe, or if restricted room, a smooth curved header pipe from engine to expansion chamber.

Th article finishes with a suggestion to try Stainless Steel or Copper scouring pads in the canister (as Myron suggested) and the motto of the article is to expiriment and see what happens.

The club I am in I think has a limit of 98dB, so in a way we are lucky, but we still try to be as quiet as possible because the land we use is virtually free due to a generous farmer.