Grass for a model patch

Gemma Jane

Your own private strip,
No waiting for a vacant frequency ,
No one talking to you when you are at a crittical stage of the flight,
No one doing a low pass just after you have called a landing/take off,
Sounds great.
Now for the 'However bit'
No one to call the ambulance in the event of a mishap, I believe it can be difficult to use a mobile phone with no fingers. Thats why some club rules ban solo opperation of power models.
Even a speed 400 with gunther prop can give you a nasty cut.
Sorry to be a wet blanket !!
Take extra care if you fly alone 

Advert

Could be Stephen I, spent today preparing Bessie, she's now running lovely with fresh oil, a little fettling and she is much easier to start and the pick up is much better on the throttle, I've ridden her up and down the drive a few times and I think she is ready to go do some work if it is a nice day tomorrow  

I got to drive our A-Class round a car park today! it is so much easier to drive than that  rover metro 100 was!

And the A-class can fit a moderate sized plane and a 450 sized heli in the back without moving the seats!

My mate just did his first official plane landing with him as the captain the other day, he is probably gonna get his flying license before his driving license! He says when he gets his license he can take me up!

One thing my mum always says  is that i am incredibly persistant! i will do something even if someone says i can't! i got my dad's 40+ yo super tigre G20/23 running when he told me i would never get it running!
Everyone says it is obvious i was born to be an engineer

I would love to make my own home build aircraft, apparently it is cheaper to learn to fly in America!

It is cheaper Peter, considerably cheaper, it depends what you want to do. I personally think if like me you just want to fly around mostly in the UK with the odd trip to France it is better to do it here and get use to the air traffic control and weather - it is the expensive route though and it can take anything up to 2 years to get the licence because of the weather - so doing it in the States is well worth looking at if you want the licence fast and cheap, but you might get a shock when it comes to flying in the UK afterwards. If you did go for that, do the exams FIRST there will be no time on an intensive course in the States to study for the 7 exams, believe me, it is more effort to pass them than most people think.

If you are good at maths why not go into engineering? It is 99% theory 1% practise at degree level, best bet is to do what you are doing and build up plenty of hands on experience, because you won't get much at University! I've been fixing old machines all my life, you could even buy a few things that do not run and fix them up to pay for that first flying lesson  I'm also interested in home builds Peter, I would love to build an RV probably the RV 10 would be my choice.

Well I promised some pictures - and forgot to take the camera again. Here is Bessie the wonder mower on her triumphant return from the strip:

I had a good friend pop round to check her over today, he spends his life fixing up old farm machinery. He arrived with the right manual and checked her all over and apart from a dodgy choke there was little wrong. He knew the scrappy where I got it and thought with the roller seat he would have normally have charged double what I paid for a non-runner so it was a bargain, there is also a huge grass box not in the picture. We think it dates from around 1979. Performed perfectly at the strip, easily driving over a rough meadow to get there, can't wait for the wind to drop so I can go try a model out. That is if my arms stop aching after over an hour of mowing and rolling! All in all it was worth the £50 just to see the farmers face when I arrived with Bessie. Sort of "She's as daft as a brush but harmless enough" kind of look

My first job when I left school at 14 & 3/4s was at Weeks & Sons in Bromley High St (Early form of B&Q but you got served by a real person, anybody remember them, are they still there?) My job was to help clean and service old things like that. We used to have a whopping big machine that sharpened the rotary cutting drum too. It was a filthy job and  also quite dangerous for a youngster like me

I got 2s & 3d  for a 45 hour week. (about 11p I think in new money) Hard times but at least you could get a bank loan in the good old days!

Jon

Dad is on the commitee, he managed to become the safety officer somehow at our club, he will put it forward at the next commitee meeting on thursday, i am fed up of my plane bobbing up and down and leaving the runway about two times before actually being classed as flying, it will also go easy on the smaller electric planes

It would be better to higher a contractor to do it!