Can you recommend a flight sim for a novice?

Tim Yates

Getting my first plane this weekend, 3 channel - been a thread on that in the beginner section. I'd like to get a flight sim to practice 3 channel planes at home but also practice 4 channel planes too. I think i'm right in saying that by and large most planes are 4 channel with regard to actually flying it, by that i mean not considering landing gear or other 'trick' parts.

Ideally the flight sim would be a good all rounder, price is a pretty key fact, if theres a self contained unit that plugs in the TV then that'd be super (as the TV screens bigger), simple to use (by that i mean install if it's on a PC as i'm not an IT geek). A variety of planes and conditons?

I have no idea what else to ask as i don't know anything about flight sims! Tips and recommendations welcome!

No matter how good the sim i fully appreciate there's nothing like the great outdoors.

Thanks in advance guys n gals....

Advert

You can download a free programme, just Google   fms, it has hundreds of models.

It is quite a basic simulator and you a right they are not as good real thing.

I have spent hours on this simulator and at least I have trainer my finger reactions.  What you will find on the real thing is that they will fall out of the sky very quickly when the sim is forgiving.

I found it has paid great benefits

Bruce Richards wrote (see)
This is the one I have. It is basic but cheap and easy to install.

OK, i saw that one in the latest TCM&E mag, didn't know if it was any good....

What is the difference between the mode1 and mode 2 models? I don't know which one to order.

How many channel options of aircraft does it give you? I see it goes up to 6 but does it cover a 3 channel plane, 4 channel plane and so on?

Sorry to ask perhaps such obvious questions!

Hamish McNab wrote (see)

You can download a free programme, just Google   fms, it has hundreds of models.

It is quite a basic simulator and you a right they are not as good real thing.

I have spent hours on this simulator and at least I have trainer my finger reactions.  What you will find on the real thing is that they will fall out of the sky very quickly when the sim is forgiving.

I found it has paid great benefits

Thanks Hamish i'll take a look at that, i don't have a transmitter at the moment so may go for the other option as they appear pretty reasonable on price.

The controller supplied has six, two twin axis plus one switch (top left) & one rotary (top right). You can use the first spare (rotary) for retracting undercarriage (available on some models) & the second spare (switch) for firing guns in a "Dog fight". They are however assignable to any of the other keyboard strokes.

Mike