Galaxy Merlin Conversion

Just purchased the above model and looking to convert to electric 

Searched the web but found nothing to help

Pegasus pages has a small comment on a conversion but little help

I could see cutting the bulkhead for the wheel rods fixing and using the tank hatch as access  but any other advise would be welcomed 

Advert

Hi there, a club member poked me about this post. My Merlin is the red one on the website pictures, this is what I used:

3548/900kv motor, spinning a 11x7 prop, on a 50a ESC with a 4s 3700 battery crammed in to the tank bay for perfect balance. 

If I did it again, I'd drop to 700kv, use a 60-70A ESC, and prop out to 12-13" - try and get some extra prop wash near the rudders.

Obviously double check what ever set up you go for with ecalc and/or a wattmeter.

3 hours ago, Keith Berriman said:

Thank you for the info 

Did you cut a hole in the former that the wheel wires bolt to to get the battery in 

I can make out the undercarriage in the photo is different 

No, I just made a hatch out of the full underside of the nose, and the 4s 3700mah I used would fit in that section at about 45° pointing down towards the front. 

I used the carbon U/C after the stock wire ones broke off a few times. It was much sturdier with a big lump of ply across the bottom, to bolt that to. 

Edited by payneib