Middle Phase transformed in to a ic powered monster

Chris C

Advert

I don't see any prolem with that. I had a Middle Phase with a 0.10 glow engine in it many years ago.
But I can't help thinking that an electric motor would be easier to fit, cleaner, useable at noise  sensitive sites and could be used as a way of gaining height, then switching off to glide or soar, which you can't do with I.C.

thanks for the suggestions do have any pics of the middle phase with the glow or any of the mathimatics like the down thurst angles of anything and we are fitting a .42 size thunder tiger engine the reason it is so big is beacuse we want to be able to use it in a varity of planes

Chris 
The pleasure is all mine  .Try a small diesel ie Cox 0.049/ Mills 0.75 ---All you need then to carry around is a 1/2 pint can ( sorry -about 500 mls I think ?) and a rubber thing for your digit (or a glove) until you're used to using your finger .
No flight box -No batteries _no chargers _No glow plugs ___ Just instant power !
Complete trouble free flying --BUT of course you'll have to decide on your R/C batteries etc ---We all do !  In my opinion ( & I'm probably on my own again ! Stick to nicd's ) Sod the re-cycling thing .The politicians try to spoil everything to get votes & guess who suffers Us !! minimal users of toxic substances .Think I'm going off thread again but  most peeps won't be  able to find it anyway !
Just for fun I have made a deliberate mistake in this message ! Anybody spotted it ? & I dont mean the metric conversion !
Are you there Eric?

Sounds far too big (the engine I mean.) I wouldn't recommend it at all. Just put a cheap 400 size electric motor in the nose and enjoy it.
 Also, let us know what part of the country are you in, I want to be well out of the way if you do to try to fly it!

this engine is going in the nose  the reason it is so big is beacuse we want to use it in other planes, its mainly an exsperiment to see how well you can convert a slope soarer to beening a pure powered areoplane no longer used on the slope                          (iam getting to lazy to walk up the hills to fly it)  

• 1 month later...
just thought to say weve hacked off the nose 10mm past the battery former (those who have owned or built a chriss foss middel phase will inderstand) i will post some photos, we got the engine 5 days ago and iam still captavated every time i look at it ITS SOOOOO COOL and i can't wait to run it in.

done some more work after the photos where taken, we ahve cut the nose to length and iam makeing the front former through trial and error iam currently on my second attempt also we are getting the correc size fuel tank and barears for teh engine so we should have them next week then we'll run teh engine in and strengthen up the rear wing and put the servos in place further back in the plane  :D :D