More newbie questions

Advert

Your simple question was making the thread impossible to read as you had not posted the link correctly.
I merely linked you to the tutorial on the correct method.
Despite previously asking you to read the few guidelines to using the forum, and filling a little in on your profile a while back in your introduction on the newbie thread you obviously chose not to bother.
Like David, I cant comment on the item you mentioned as I have not used them - perhaps others have not done so either but there a lot of rubbish packs out there, and sometimes the only way to know is to try them. I have had mixed results with "Ebay" batteries, mostly I have to say negative.

Hi Mark
The batteries you refer to are badged "Mystery" and sold by Go Market in Hong Kong. I have purchased 2 of the next size down (2200mAh) and a charger from this supplier through Ebay for the grand total of just £25.46 including postage and had no trouble at all. But to be fair at about 8C my application is not working them very hard. Note they have no connectors.

I may be a miserly old skinflint but (so far) all the stuff i have purchased this way (using PayPal) is dead easy and excellent value, so I say go for it.   

I have several Rhino packs which do indeed perform very well, and as a bonus, have also lasted quite well too. Remember when evaluating the worth of a LiPo, to factor in the total life cost, not just initial purchase price. Even looked after correctly, some of the cheap packs have very poor life span - I have had packs fail after just 5 or 6 cycles - not such a bargain then. Another weakness of many cheap packs is inability to hold voltage under load - and poor assembly methods can sometimes mean high internal resistance, poorly matched cells and so on. As I said earlier, sometimes you just have to gamble and try them if you really MUST. Otherwise, there are, as mentioned other "budget" brands with a good reputation and UK availability, such as the Zippy and Rhino packs.
This is of course just my opinion and experience as someone who has well over 100 various LiPo packs, and has probably thrown out half as many over the last few years.
What application are intending to use them in Mark ?

Thanks for the replies guys.  I am going to be using them in a number of purchases that i have made over the past few weeks, as i appear to have been bitten by the bug!  I have bought an FSK MK IX Spitfire and an FSK Mosquito.  The latter is a long-term project that will not be flow for some time as I am still fairly inexperienced.  Why have i gone for aa advanced model prone to tip-stalling i hear you ask?  Well my grandfather flew them during WW2 and i would love to do this little thing to say that i am proud of him.  Even though he passed away 12 years ago my Dad would appreciate the sentiment.

I am just starting to now pull together the parts that i need to make them.  I have a 25A ESC and brushless motor for the Spit but nothing for the Mossie.  My radio setup is a DX6i so I need a whole bunch of servos, 2 AR6200s (I like to have everything working on mine, including retracts) and a pair of motors and ESCs.  The recommended kit for the Mossie is AXI 2212/34s and 18A JETI ECO ESCs but I quite like the EFlite kit as I have used it already on my Sea Fury and trust it.  That said I am not sure what motors I am going to need for scale-like flight?  A pair of Eflite 480s seems a bit powerful for scale flight and will make it more of an aerobatic machine!  I also have no idea how you are supposed to wire up two ESCs to one battery.  One assumes that you just connect the two ESC wires together and then add an EC3 connector.

> >

So, to cut a long story short, the batteries are for quite high power, high discharge purposes.  To be honest, I think that I have answered my own question: I don’t want to risk my pride and joy falling out of the sky so I will stick with the branded expensive stuff.

These are pretty lightweight styrofoam models right ? The AXI are nice motors, and the one suggested by you for the mossie would also be OK in the Spit - but if you want to loo for an alternative, you should be seeking a lowish KV ( 700 - 900 approx ) and around 10A capable. On 3s Lipo that equates to maximum wattage of about 100+
Plenty of suitable alternatives around,

Or if you want the Eflite stuff...this one