Storing Li-PO's

Hi all, I am new to the Forum and Electric flight, so I hope you can indulge me.
Having recently read the article in the February RCM&E mention was made to storage of LI-PO batteries at around 60 to 40% capacity depending on time they are to be left.
My question is to charge the packs at 60% say is it a simple case of reducing the pack Mah rating on the charger or is there a better way ie. using a discharger.
The charger I have is a Fusion Elysium LX60B Pro, any advice on this topic will be gratefully accepted,thanks Michael. 

Advert

Good question Michael
I was wondering the very same thing. I've got a Fusion L50b charger which i've been doing some bench tests on this week with my NiCads and some new LiPo's that i've got for my lads new foamy. I've refered to the LiPo charging guide that i found in the forum somewhere and charged up then discharged (using a benchtop drain) and i've come to the conclusion that i'll have to just turn the charger off when it reaches the level i want for storage....i can't find a way of cutting the charger off automatically at the desired level unless i'm being a complete mong and just can't see it on the instructons.
Hopefully someone will come to our rescue?
I'm very happy with the charger although i was a bit sad it doesn't come with any leads for normal battery charging...ie Nicads etc.

Firstly - I should state that there is a slight amendment to those percentage figures - I have started off the second part of the article with the following clarification ....

"I suggested long term storage levels as being 3.9V and normal storage levels being 4V.  However this equates to approximately 60% - 80% capacity respectively, and not as quoted 40% - 60%.  My thanks to eagle eyed forum member John Cole for spotting the erroneous percentages.  John also points out that several respected manufacturers suggest that for even better cell life, long term storage could be set as low as 40% charged ( approx 3.75V )"

Many chargers have this "storage charge level" setting - but if they do not, then simply monitor the charge process and stop the charger when the desitred voltage level is reached.
The Elysium you mentioned is a fairly basic charger and does not have this storage level setting.
Reducing the charge rate from the charger will NOT accomplish this storage charge , it will merely prolong the full charge time.