YT International Spitfire

Paul Croll

Thanks David. 

I did see it and it didn't sound too good.  It was the reason I posted my question.

I was hoping to find out from other memebers if they thought this was a one off or something to be concerned about.

My flying is better than my biulding and so I need an ARTF to go together without too much trouble.

Paul

Hi Paul, that wasmy spit that came to grief.
I must admit, I woul;d never buy a composite fuse model again, as in the event of any accident you cannot repair it easily. In this case there was no resin in the fibreglass, just a layer of gel coat.
The wing also is suffering from splitting, which has happened to someone else as well.
To their credit, YT replaced the fuse, but I will never trust the model again.
Someone on one of the bulletin boards did mention they were concerned about the brittle fibreglass as they drilled the model, this is because the brittle part is the gel coat, and no resin in the mat to drill into.
I hope mine was a one off, but when I look at the new fuse, the front is very squishy and soft, and the mid top section is solid, almost overbuilt.. We will have to see who else has any problems, but as I say hopefully mine was a one off.have a look at
darryl

Thanks Djay.  I have followed your link and the wings seem like a problem was well.

But they do look good and seem to fly well once sorted.

I am torn, I am hopping you had a bad one as I haven't found another good looking Spit yet.  Kyosho do one of similar size, I think I will check it out.

As for composite, I have a World Models Dago Red.  It is much smaller but it is the best ARTF I have ever had by miles.  If they were all like that we wouldn't need reviews!

Paul

• 1 month later...
A  most disturbing story to read but good to see that YT are taking the issue seriously. I have had the pleasure to watch many of their birds flying and to get up close also to talk extensively with the owners / builders / pilots of these kits and this is really the 1st proper horror story I've heard so here's hoping this was a rouge kit and with any luck I'll be able to fufill my ambition to own one of their kits one day

Hi Paul
I don't own one but my mate does. It's a fantastic plane.
He has gone electric and fitted a Benedini sound system. He maidened a few weeks ago and it was a joy to watch, unfortunately the sound system was not up and running. The next outing it will be.

Edited By paul@scc on 27/03/2009 09:33:37

Edited By paul@scc on 27/03/2009 09:38:51

Edited By paul@scc on 27/03/2009 09:40:56

the only reference I know of in RCM&E is the article I posted here but it is more likely that it's been featured in Q&EFI as I know Bob has strong links with that publication. still its a very impressive bird and I'm fairly certain there where no horror stories attached to the build as Bob said to me "a nice one to both build and fly"

• 3 months later...