Starter builders

Advert

Hi John,

In view of the pleasure I have had, and continue to have, from model building, I am more than happy to help anyone interested in breaking out of the ARTF mould, so please don't take my apparent impatience too seriously - just home from a long day at work, so if  you have anything more specific to ask, please go ahead. We all had to start somewhere; I had the good fortune to go to a school at 11 at which one of the teachers was a competition free flight modeller and keen to encourage us youngsters.

I would say that a decent modelling knife, with some spare blades, a razor saw, a sanding block, and a steel ruler will prove to be the most used tools in your workshop. I still use single edge razor blades for quite a bit of my cutting.

What are you planning to build?

An old chestnut but true, nevertheless...measure twice, cut once.

Really, the only way to learn aeromodelling is to get on and do it!  Pick something that interests you but is fairly straight forward to build and fly.  The 1/4 scale Constellation can wait a while!

Spend a LONG time poring over the plans, visualising the construction and building it in your head before starting.  Talk to clubmates - most of the insoluble problems will have been encountered by them before - although I've seen the most experienced modellers scratching their heads over some plans. 

If the designer hasn't made things clear it may be worth trying to contact them - most are only too pleased that someone is interested enough to be building their design and will be delighted to assist.

And don't forget a note of thanks to him and a short report on the finished article!

When you start building, don't lose heart when you make a mistake.  There is virtually nothing you can't undo and/or remedy with a little thought and it is these moments that provide you with the basics of being a model builder. Don't hesitate to ask for help either locally or on the forum.  There are very few real modellers who don't enjoy helping others.

HELP I cant find a substitute for hobbylite filler the material I intend to use to streamline my Parkzone Radian foamy plane I intend to then cover with a lite film thus killing time till better weather and haveing a unique finish on my model. I know that pollyfiller may be used but I wanna know if anyone has any knowledge they can pass on I have allready contacted ICI. Many Thanks Brian ...

Well as Dave said, its a bit of a wide question, but for what its worth ( and I am not a prolific builder I must confess ) I would start of with a kit first, rather than an out and out scratch build from plan. The Chris Foss kits remain some of the best and comparatively easier of these, and they all build into lovely models that fly really well too. This is surprisingly important as after many weeks of cutting and shaping and fitting and covering etc, the joy of seeing your creation actually ROG and fly is un-forgettable. Then after a couple of these kit /plan types - progress to one of the magazines easier plan builds - how about the Alex Whittaker bushwacker for example ? You could build that entriely from plan rather than the plan pack version...then move up to a full scratchbuild. Dont try to run before you learn to walk, in both building and flying terms.... and expect a little frustration and problems along the way. Dont expect any plan build to not require some degree of builder interpretation and improvising. Choose a nice warm place to work in - dont rush things, and keep things tidy and in good conditiuon as you go. Aim to finish a specific part of the job by the planned end of session, and come back to anice clean and tidy fresh start the next session. 
Good luck... and consider blogging your work on here too - lots of help will be forthcoming.

Not so many kits sold these days, if you want a good low wing kit to start on, then the Chris Foss Acrowot is worth looking at, but there is not much building in one as it has foam wings, so only the fuselage is 'building'. 

I would recommend the Sig Four Star 40, that is an all built-up kit and flies well (mine is at least 5 years old now) but I am not sure if you can buy them in the UK now (I live in Finland).