How Daft can you be?

Gemma Jane

Funny that.... I did that exact same blunder on Sunday. Rushing round loading the car got to thefield and realised I had left the carbon spar on the work top doooh. The I looked in the back of te car and found I had also left the new carton of fuel at home arrrrrrrrrgh. Some said" there are those how have forgotten and those that will" I did manage to fly with my second plane and just had enough fuel for the session so nota wasted day.

Advert

!/4 scale carl goldberg decathlon,wing servos fitted into the plywood plates fixed under the wing,they were a very precise fit has i must of flown that aircraft on a dozen or more occasions and quite aerobatic too.Then i noticed i had not fitted the retaining screws to the servo plates,wow was i a lucky boy !!! flew the aircraft for two years and then sold it,Great aeroplane.

Early days i was chuffed to bits about going solo,a bumpy landing meant i had to change the prop,they were nylon in those days  and i was in a hurry to get airborn,yes the prop was on in a jiffy ,full throttle down the runway and after about 50yrds it was airborn,just. a couple of circuits and i landed and a few people commented on the lack of power compaired to previous flights. after various suggestions,strip down the carb,blocked needle valve,are you using old fuel,then my tutor came up behind and suggested i turn the prop round,thanks ron,there is often a simple solution to most of our problems

It was our scale and vitage yesterday and I was first up with a grey low winger.You know when something doesnt look right but it doesnt click.The engine kept starting but wouldnt run,I lost my spot.I then looked at the battery.My friend had connected the terminals the wrong way round,I was trying to start it backwards.It sounded fine but wouldnt tickover,.We removed the wing to adjust the throttle arm .In his eagerness to get the wing off he pulled it before I had fully unscewed the bolt,the wing came off with the wing mount attached to it.I decided not to fly it

I used some of that foam filler  for my house.It had suffered with a leaking roof and had been repaired under insurance before I bought it,After a short time large cracks and gaps appeared at the top of the upstairs walls.Armed with the can of foam I sprayed it into the gaps Took rather more than I expected but filled the gaps well.Went into the next room to be cofronted with foam the size of footballs neatly stuck to the gap the other side

• 3 weeks later...
Back in the 70s [1970s that is] I spent the best part of a couple of hours trying to start a diesel. All by hand - no electric starters then. I was swearing as only a teenager could. Eventually it dawned on me that I had inadvertantly picked up the wrong fuel and had been trying to start it with glow fuel. 

Wifey bought me a Lingcat for xmas last year. Took my time (2 months) putting it all together (ARTF). Had it checked out by friends that own the local model shop, one of whome offered to do the maiden flight for me. All was fine on the ground, C of G was spot on, all surfaces working as expected etc, so off he went.    
   Hurtled down the strip like a bat out of hell and all was well until the thing left the ground, at which point the $$$$$$$ thing flipped onto its back and no amount of stick jockeying would correct its flight, although the big tree did stop half of my model, the other half almost landed in a canel! In retrospect, we checked the C of G front to back but no one thought to check it across the wings........ I think that moving the battery pack to a slightly higher position in the model may have been a bad idea...

With me it's always the throttle...
Assembling my Funjet a short time ago( with the Ultra tuning set) i connected it all up to bind the Tx, set the servos to centre etc etc then, (and why I'll never figure) switched off the Tx. Now I should add that in the absence of a shed I use my study as a workshop.....
The motor started - WOT - it shot across the desk, carved out a ggodly amount of wood and leather on the way and wedged itself under the chair at the other side of the room! So - slightly dinged airframe, broken prop, damaged desk and that's before the first flight.
About a week later I'm adjusting the connectors on the servo arms of a 3D acro - again in the study but this time on the floor - Tx on, battery connected, I bend over the model to look under the elevator and my forehead hits the throttle, plane shoots forwards, prop catches the underside of the radiator and bang - the motor mount and prop are history.
Working on the new Panther at the weekend - connected up the battery so that I could centre the servo arms etc (couldn't disconnect the motor wires as the connectors are under the fan), accidently hit the throttle and off it shoots across the room. Fortunately the battery disconnected as it left the desk otherwise it would have gone through the window!! 
I really must make the ESC / motor cables accessible so I can disarm the motor in future when I'm working on the plane or fit an isolator switch. So far the damage has only been to property - been lucky!!

Strangely Tony I did the same thing with a Seagull Pioneer.Had it in front of me on my work top,checked everything was working OK and the motor was running the right way,and as you say switched the Tx off and before I knew what had happwned the motor had started up wacked my finger ,the model lying on thr floor revving flat out ,blood everywhere.Upstairs,kept wrapping more and more dressing on my finger until the blood stopped seeping through.Went back cleaned the mess up and carried on getting the model ready for the next day.Rebound the model so that safe mode was throttle shut!!!