Cox Black Widow - Glow head availability?

John Falconer

I have just completed a Sig Hummer 1/2a racer (see picture) but all three glow heads for the Black Widow engine are defunct.
I built the model to make use of this engine and an old 2 channel Futaba radio set that were salvaged from my first model which was a Gentle Lady glider. (It got stuck in a tree, soaked by rain, eventually fell out and was trampled by a herd of cows )

Does anyone know where I can get some replacement glow heads in the UK please?

Advert

Hi john  .You can modify the head to take an ordiary plug but there isn't much material to play with . and you wil probably need an old cox cylinder to hold the head in a lathe so as not to damage the very fine thread. I made one some time ago and it ran ok but I think its worth paying the extra for a proper head.
E.D.

You can tap out the head-you need a 1/4x32tpi tap, a model engineers thread, available naturally from model engineering suppliers. I think a 1/4 UNEF is also around the same. Unless you do a lot, probably not worth it-try Cox Supplies on Ebay-you can get a complete sure start engine for £8.90 from them, cylinders, complete with piston & head & glow heads etc. all at fairly cheap prices. Take care with the volts as described above & a head should last a long time

• 5 months later...
I'd be interested to see how they go......one of the problems of drilling & tapping the head for a standard plug is a loss of compression ratio (adding the standard plug increases the volume of the combustion chamber thus lowering the effective compression) & this reduces power considerably....lets face it at 0.8cc you don't need much of a change to have a big effect.....

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 04/08/2009 22:02:18:
I'd be interested to see how they go......one of the problems of drilling & tapping the head for a standard plug is a loss of compression ratio (adding the standard plug increases the volume of the combustion chamber thus lowering the effective compression) & this reduces power considerably....lets face it at 0.8cc you don't need much of a change to have a big effect.....

Good point. Thus an excuse to run higher nitro!

Sorry to disagree with some of the previous info.  There is plenty of metal thickness in the head of the Cox.  So much so that the head neads counter-boring to bring the plug through level with the inside of the head. Which of course means there will be no loss of compression.  How do I know - I have just converted an old head - took about five minutes and looks OK to me.  Modolit.