Using my own radio with FMS

Tim Budd

Hi guys

I quite fancy the look of FMS as an RC flight sim (with the added bonus it's free) but was wondering whether I could use my own radio to control the planes.

I have a Futaba 6EXA 2.4 set and I have seen a USB cable on Ebay for about a fiver to connect up to my PC laptop. But looking on the FMS website it says I can't without difficulty but other opinions I have seen on the web says I can but I can't find any definite instructions on how to do it.

I have a PC laptop with Windows Vista (is that going to be a problem?) running quite a powerful graphics card but I don't know which one it is off the top of my head. 

What's the general consensus on connecting a radio to FMS?

TIA 

Advert

I have an old Hitec tx and I got a USB adaptor from Als Hobbies for about £8 - it included adaptors for Futaba and JR too. It works fine with FMS, you just have to set it up in windows first as a game controller. All fairly straight forward - this is XP - can't see it being much different in Vista. Hope this helps. I also use the same set up for the Realitycraft sim although they provide a TX controller anyway. Thats another way to go, of course, just buy the realitycraft sim for £20 and you have another sim and a dedicated controller that will work with FMS

Thanks guys!

A little confession – I am really inexperienced with Windows! I am a (wait for it) Mac user!

Colin, when you say that you have to set it up in Windows as a controller is that in FMS itself or is it in the Windows control panel? Sorry to sound really dumb. 

Hamish – is the driver readily available?

TIA 

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Tim, If your Tx has a buddy-box connector, you can use the SmartPropo software. Look here.....
http://www.smartpropoplus.com/BlueAndGrey/default.asp

Another alternative is to use SmartPropo with an old Tx with the crystal removed, or if you feel confident an old Tx with the RF section removed/disabled and the output from the pulse generation section fed into the PC Audio In  or Mic socket.

• 1 month later...
Hi Tim,i don't know about your TX but i use my spektrum DX6I 2.4 ghz on FMS and it works fine mate and i have even used one of my older 6 channel 35mhz on there without a problem too,once you calibrate your TX it should work fine but having said all this i haven't tryed it on my laptop yet which is vista as i use FMS on my pc and thats XP,but i have read on other forums you might have to download a file for it to work on widows vista but it don't sound to hard mate,let us know how you get on with it mate.