Aircraft Speed Theory

Delta Whiskey

Whilst trying out various models on Phoenix flight sim, and with actually flying my Boomerang trainer, along with watching another guy down the field yesterday, flying his Katana MD Electric fully Aerobatic jobbie, I've come up with the idea of trying one of these types rather than messing around with more so called suitable models for beginners.....why?

Well for once, the Katana took off in about 4 or 5 paces, and could fly a lot, and I mean a lot slower than the Boomer. The boomer needed a lot of ground to get to lift off speed, ok the Boomer is a lot bigger, thus needing more speed for it's weight, I understand that, but if the control surfaces throw could be really restricted as I know they can be, and as I found in the sim, even with fully 3D models control movement, it was actually a lot easier, because of the slower speeds you could fly a "performance" model with rather then a "trainer" type!

Another reason, for my idea was due to the state of our field, the Katana for example not needing more than 10 feet for take off and landing !
Am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Advert

I think you will find that the Boomerang is easier to fly because it is more stable and will try to recover from strange positions by its self.

The Katana will stay in any position it is in and you have to revover it yourself.

Add to that that orientation is not as easy once the model is in a strange position and you could have problems.

Having said all that, it depends on how competent you are with the Boomerang. If you can fly that solo and do basic aerobatics with it, then you probably can fly the Katana on reduced throws BUT I would have someone standing by with a buddy box for the first flights

Ok thanks Peter, I think I could handle the Katana (nice carbon bits) for example, with restricted throws, I'm comfortable with orientation, and if it stays in any position then I think that would also help with me!

....and with the fact they are not more expensive say then a IC trainer, and the guy reckons, I could fly it having watched my flight, so I guess I should give it a go !

I'm off to Florida in a few weeks, I think I'll see what I can find out there if at least a decent motor and servo's at hopefully a cheaper price than would get here!

Hi Flytilbroke, not necessarily that I want a model to fly slow, my point was if these fully 3D models can fly soooo slow being so light etc, with reduced throws surely they could well be suitable for a beginner more so than say a faster boomerang! 

I undestand the wing design, and the boomer is so stable, but for say a 2nd or 3rd model one should cosider a more advance design and not be put off by the advertising of it being a fully aerobatics model, as I have until recently with this idea!
It will aslo save money as once ready, (I'm somewhere in the middle already), throws could be increased for more responsive  and faster flying!

(anyhow gotta charge some batteries and get out there - look at the sunshine and very still it is too!)

• 2 weeks later...
hello delta whiskey(firewatter)----- the weston cougar and the limbo dancer style model's
are all the same design--will fly extremely slow and won't catch you or anyone out--totally different to flying a conventional model but still no problem's/nasty vice's-wiyh reduced throw's......................................

ken anderson.....

hi delta whiskey .
i quite agree , i also use phoenix and came to the same conclusion i have some heli experience and am used to the reduced throw regime ,currently working on building a couple of models with reduced wing loadings to achieve exactly what you have said  let me know how you get on and what you try.  i understand peters comments re trainers but also believe a slower flying model seems much more controllable especially on the sim .