Weight

OK, building an 80" stuka.  1.20 4 stroke up front gives ample power (the original was flown on a 70 or so).
I am planning a few changes from the plans- which call for 5 servos.

I figure mine will need 11. (+300g)

I think I will need a high capacity 6V battery for the rx- which weighs in at about 350g- 200g more than the normal pack.

It gets much worse- I want to add a landing light, and worst of all  a siren.

The siren needs about 26V, which I think 2*3S LiPos should do.  I think these seem to be about 100g-200g.

The siren unit itself is very light- 50g, but the speakers need to be quite powerful- and these seem to be coming in at about 350g.

By my reckoning thats an extra kilo or so of additional weight I will be expecting my plane to haul into the air.  Obviously I will be doing as much as humanly possible to place this weight in a position that it will balance correctly without any extra "dead" weight, but will it get off the ground?

Advert

When you consider that most builders write-ups one reads of warbirds usually have the line "I ended up adding 4lb of lead to the nose", I dont think your kilo is going to matter a jot!  It'll fly a little faster and land a little longer, the take -off will be a little more ground loving and the climb a little more shallow: but whether you will distinguish "little" I also doubt: I used to regularly chuck the odd pound of lead into slope soarers of MUCH shorter span.

basically, don't worry mate.

But do post pics, I love the Stuka.
David

Andy 

I'm a simple chap (don't say anything) and I like simple models (electronically and mechanically) so there's less to go wrong. If I were you I'd be tempted to build and fly the 'basic' airframe without the extras. In this way you can assess how it flies and it's ability to take on a payload of add-ons.

Easy to say of course but does this sound realistic?  

I understand exactly what you are saying David.  The problem is the siren- the rest is pretty straightforwards.  I think to get the best effect the speakers will have to be external.  A lot of people work them into dummy bombs, but to answer Brians question, it will have a working bomb too!  I really want this to be a bells and whistles (literally) machine. 

I have a plan of how I can camoflage the speaker, but it will need building into the plane at the build stage, rather than afterwards to look it's best, although a blank hatch could replace the speaker initially I suppose.

At least I don't seem to be doing something impossible, so I will plough on!