Cleaning engine

magicstick

hi everyone i've just brought a second hand os 20.
sorry i dont have anymore information than this as this is all that is on the side of the engine. the engine is second hand and looks quite grubby and used.
what i want to know is how i can clean it up to make it look like new if i can ?
also the screws holding the exhaust on and the screw in the end of the exhaust by the outlet (where the smoke comes out) sorry dont know the name of this. these are cross threaed. i've looked in the ripmax catalogue for this engine and cant find it. anyboby know if i can replace these ? also would like to extened the exhaust from the engine so that it clears the fusalage, where can i get this part from ?

Advert

1) Seal the carb and exhaust port , clean off any loose dirt. Spray with Fairy Powerspray (kitchen grease remover fron any supermarket.) Leave for half an hour. Scrub it in with a small brush, wife's toothbrush is ideal. Wash off with water. Repeat the process until clean. Lightly oil any steel parts such as screws.
2) Screws(bolts)/nuts, Ripmax should keep them, ask them directly by phone. The two bolts bolts that hold the exhaust on are probably 3mm and you might be able to buy some of about the right length at a hardware shop.
3)Extension, might be difficult but Ripmax ,as the importer, should have them. Or try 'Just Engines'.

hello magicstick--the cleaning will be down to elbow grease plus what you fancy---the exhaust can be fitted on using a split jubilee clip that go'es around the cylnder head and is secured to the exhaust/silencer by drilling two small hole's in it and using a couple of self tapper's(this was a common way of doing it in the dark distant day's)................i'm to young to remember/ really............

ken anderson..................

Use Fairy power spray. removes 20 year old baked on castor oil really easily.
Just cover the engine in it, put it in a plastic bag, for a couple of hours, then rinse of under the tap. Like new. Even the silencer will gleam.
Despite what some people sy, it does not eat the metal away, it is not an acid, but it does remove any corrosion in the metal, so pitting will be evident in areas, but they are clean pits.
Darryl

• 4 years later...

Old and grubby ? Know the feeling.

I've used fairy powerspray and it does work but if left on too long tarnishes the alloy casting. I've rejuvenated a number of engines, and discovered BBQ cleaner - spray on, leave 30s, and get to it with a toothbrush but keep rinsing under a tap.Repeat until a gleaming engine - the only way I assure cleanliness is to strip it down first. As its a 2s it should be quite easy - watch for stripped threads! angry

Regard sealing, Hylomar Blue works wonders. Must try Cillt Bang degreaser Eric!!