Enya SS40

Matt Theron

I have fitted a Enya SS40 into a four star forty plane that I have just completed building and have not forseen the problem that the needle valve is far too short to be set and will have to somehow be extended.

Has anyone got an idea on how to do this as I have no clue how to approach this one   -  I will need about three quarter to an inch extention.

All ideas are welcome.

Cheers
Matt

Advert

Hi David,

The needle valve has no holes at the top and the needle itself goes all the way up and is secured at the top (where you screw it in or out) thus making it impossible to drill incase of damage.

Your mention of the use of a piece of plastic or fuel tube is most welcome and I will use this method if no other enthusiast comes up with a more suitable idea.

Cheers
Matt

I've extended Enya and similar needles by silver soldering a bolt to the end of the knurled needle collar, with the bolt head against the needle so a piece of tubing can be screwed onto the bolt thread as a flexible extension.   For a more rigid extension, I've used a length of brass tube, with a screw soldered in the end to provide a slot for reference.  This was on a needle where the blunt end of the needle protruded from the collar, giving a nice location for the tube and more soldering area.

The thing to bear in mind is that a rigid extension can resonate and cause wear in the needle valve threads, resulting in an air leak developing over a period of time.  That's why I prefer the flexible tube approach.

hello matt-i use a bit of 1/4 hardwood dowel with a plastic pen top fastened to it which is a snug fit over the needle --when the engine is warmed up i adjust the carb and that's it-the only time it need's to be altered are a change of fuel or change of temp summer to winter...an extension on the needle will eventually damage the minute hole inside the carb-due to vibration--even more so on four stroke's...go'es from round to egg shaped and then it's very hard/impossible to tune....(new carb time=££££......

ken anderson.............

1/4 dowel about 6in long............