Propellosaurus

Terence Lynock

Decided to build this one in among other projects to take on holiday for a bit of fun with my two year old grandson, Almost finished the construction mainly from blue foam sheet and pink block and some Depron where needed.
Looking at the plan I am wondering what would happen if I used elevons instead of the two piece elevator, I have used a snake for the rudder and thats fine but had the idea of burying two micro servos in the sides of the body with a mixer, would it work?,

regards,    Terry

Advert

Hi Glenn,
                     took a chance on it and fitted two servos in the sides of the body up against the wing, added a piece of foam just forward of the servos to give them a little protection and faired these into the body sides.
By fitting the servos outside of the body you get a clean run to the elevons and you have more space for the RX and other bits, when I fitted the head I didnt use a carbon rod as per plans.
I used a 1/2'' bore length of carbon graphite fishing rod and opened the mouth by cutting some of the foam away each side, this allows air into the mouth and down the tube to the body cavity for cooling the ESC and RX.
When I  opened the mouth up I left a wall of foam down the middle of the mouth to support the lower jaw and only cut right through to the other side at the back so air could get to the tube.
Still have a ways to go but it is coming along,

regards,                        Terry

Lets have some pictures guys
Hi Tim,
               problem is with this new website it takes too much time to do, firast I have to take the photo then load it to my computer, then call it up in Photoshop and resize it cause it will be too big to be accepted.
Then I have to come on line and load it to my photo album before I can call it up for this thread, its all a lot of hassle and twice as much as we used to have, all I did then was load it via Photoshop and resize and call it up direct into the thread.

Presently getting to know my Aztek airbrush again which hasnt been used in years, it was (is) the top of the line 470 in the fancy wooden box won in a model shipbuilding competition in the U.S, I also have a few spare nozzles of different sizes and frightened myself when I priced them the other night at eight quid each!.
Anyways I am presently giving mine a coat of paint before fitting out all the lecky stuff then the elevons to link up, if we have a decent day sometime next week I will pop over the field with it ( 'my' field near my house not the club field),

regards,     Terry

Looking good Terry. You are well infront of me. Im going to see if mine flys before I spend hours painting. Ive put another couple of photos in my album for anyone to view. What size prop did you put on, I was thinking of something like a 7x6, would have liked an 8 but its just to big.
Kind regards,
Glenn

I made the skull a bit narrower at 40mm and the jaws a bit longer, the eyes are a spare pair from when we made a special one-off teddy bear for a Downes Syndrome daughter of a friend and we bought two pairs at different sizes so had these left over.
The paint job was one coat of thinned PVA and then sanded before a coat of Burnt Umber and a light overspray of thinned Yellow Oxide acrylics, the green, grey  and deep blue stripes are acrylic artists paint and reds are Chrimson Lake rubbed in with a finger tip before an all-over coat of clear acrylic spray to finish it off.
It will probably end up about 75g overweight as I used 1/2'' carbon graphite tube instead of the 3mm carbon rod in the neck, air can now flow into the mouth and down the tube to cool the ESC etc, another smaller carbon graphite tube runs from the body cavity all the way back to the tip of the rudder,

regards,    Terry

Having problems right now with Sciatica I cant even sit at my bench to work so everything is on hold,I just caugfht it wrong last night and twisted sideways to pick something up off the bench and that was it, took me a good two minutes to get out of the chair and go into the other room.
Had this problem for many years and it will be a few days before it lets me sit for any length of time so in the meantime I am sat propped up with a couple of cushions bored stiff, beautiful weather and a nice breeze from  the S.W, a big hill just over the field and where am I?..........

regards,    Terry

Tried with the maiden today, never went to well. After about thirty yards nose dived into the ground. Not much damage, just one elivon horn broke off. A combination of a high thrust line (pushing the nose down) and although the CG was ok to the plan (Id added some weight to the nose) I think it needs to be further back to counter act the thrust line. Anyone any Ideas
Going to try again tomorrow or Sunday.
Glenn

H Jeremy,
                   the basic brown and grey were brushed on but then I used an airbrush to finish off the colour scheme with the green and a thin coat of thinned yellow ochre over the brown first, you can get some nice effects using artists acrylic.
You can get small bottles of 'Inscribe' brand paint for about a quid each, they sell them on eBay but by the time you pay the P&P is is very uneconomical, better to pop down the local art shop and see what they have.
To get some shape into the face just rub a little colour into the eye area and so on with a finger tip, this feathers the colour around the edges and blends it into the main colour,

regards,     Terry