Hinge tapes?

In the past I have read that glider builders often hinge the ailerons and flaps with self adhesive tape. Trouble is that I can't remember what type of tape they use.

I need to know for a new model which would benefit from this type of hinge. I could hinge with the covering but that would be trickier to do.

Advert

Sellotape diamond is ok but getting hader to source than it used to be. WH Smiths and Staples have now stopped stocking it, I recently had to source some online. As Tim said you can use covering film, when doing this I would always use more than one layer.

THis will be a 1:4.5 scale model, i.e half way between 1/5 and 1/4 scale. Having said that, it will have a span of 60", a chord of 5 13/16" and be powered by a .15 engine.

IT has small ailerons ( about 7") out at the tip and very long flaps. The ailerons are top hinged and the flaps are bottom hinged.

Now that has a few people scratching their heads. Add to that that it is a homebuilt and the plans have only been available for a couple of months and our flying site owner is busy building one.

Oh go on! I will put you out of your misery!  Colomban MC30 Luciole. Micro light. Low wing three axis enclosed  cockpit Powered by a Briggs and STratton 150 cc OHV Vee twin. Cruises at 105 mph, 6 luitres an hour, range five hours. Looks pretty too.

I will try and get the book tape.

Most 60" epp slope racers are hinged with 3m Book tape if the builder is 'in the know'. Possibly with a run of diamond on the opposite side. Diamond tape is nowt more than UV proof sellotape really. 3M Book tape is tough stuff. Make sure you get the alignment right first time 'cos when it's on you won;t be getting it off any time soon!
Andy