Seagull pc 9 Electric

Vinno

Advert

High Vinno I had one of these beauties for a few minutes. Mine had a 350w motor and took off like a rocket. Alas it flew superbly in the hands of my instructor and didnt want to land but in my hands it was demolished in minutes few ,all my fault.Ive fitted the running gear into a mpx mentor that maidened today it was a superb flight but I had trouble seeing it against the cloud so my instructor put it throgh its pacesnanother go Thurs.

I'm sure that David is mistaking the PC-9 EP with the Spacewalker EP.  That 'term' he used has put me off buying one ever since, especially as my buddy quotes the 'term' from the magazine if the SW gets mentioned.

I've had the PC-9 and it's good value for money but I didn't like the way it flew and sold it after one flight.  Call me simple but the rolls weren't axial enough for me but then I like aerobats.  I should have held back.

A few comments about the PC-9 EP.

I've seen the nitro version and there's not a lot between the two in terms of fuselage size.

When I was building mine I noticed that one of the spars was pushed in.  I  returned it to the store expecting them to be dubious about it being like that when I got it but when they opened another one it had the same problem.

In the manual they show someone tightening the thumb screws which hold the wings on.  That's naughty because they manage to exclude the battery tray in their pic which stops your own fingers from getting in there.

I used the 2814-8T combo from BRC (about £35) and a 2200 3S lipo for about 300W which is a good match for it, the Decathlon EP (every bit as good as the RCM & E review says), the E-Flite Taylorcraft, etc.

You can use a fifth servo for the nosewheel - use a UBEC if your ESC can't do more than 2A.

If I saw another one in a store, I may well pick up another.  There's maybe nothing else to beat it for the money.

• 1 month later...
Hi all , thanks for your help,
   I did end up getting one and am using a circa 300w Turnigy cheapy and is spot on for it. All in all very happy with it and seems to fly  very well, definately one for the calm days though! Contsruction is a tad flimsy and the wood used is almost tissue like in places, but you gets what you pays for.........
Would definately recommend reinforcing the area around the nose wheel bulkhead though as it wont take much abuse at all.

Thanks again all

Vin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know this thread is a bit old but i have just got a PC-9 and looking at the instructions the way the wings are connected is not secure or maybe I am being a bit thick there is no mention of any other lugs or dowels but the holes are there holes in the end rib and the side of the fuselage but no hardware  to support it and no mention of it in the instruction's 
thanks

Martyn 

just found out how thay are held 4 small bolts saw them on the JP website but defanly not in the instrucions . so glad i heve got the web.

Edited By martyn sharp on 09/08/2009 09:52:18

No, I reckon that they are in the instructions, and I'll tell you why

Just look at this, as I posted above.

'In the manual they show someone tightening the thumb screws which hold the wings on.  That's naughty because they manage to exclude the battery tray in their pic which stops your own fingers from getting in there.'

You'll see what I mean.

I don't have the manual now but I remember as clear as day the photo of a hand inside the fuselage turning one of the 'thumbscrews'.  There was no battery tray.  They made it look easy which it most definitely wasn't.  In my case, I had to resort to using my long nosed pliers to get to the head but even that wasn't a quick job.

Here's a bonus tip   Most cheap ESCs typically only have a 2A BEC.  That's normally deemed to be enough for four sub micro servos.  So, if you have another servo for the nosewheel, you ought to be sure your BEC is better than that or be looking for a cheap UBEC.

Otherwise, you could end up with no power to your radio if you drive the servos hard and draw excessive current.  It would depend on the servos as well as the built-in BEC.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Martyn and others, tried my idea of flexible drive screwdriver with allen key type bolts, battery tray still in the way!!
I think the answer will be to cut out the covering on th u/s of the fuss. to get at the fixings and make a removable hatch.

Garry G

• 1 month later...
HI Martyn, Found a good site htttp://adamone.rchomepage.com/index5.htm which has a C of G calculator and this puts  it at between 88mm -99mm-110mm from root  L.E. depending on the  STATIC MARGIN ( safety factor ) of between 5 - 15%.
Sounds all very technical doesn't it!!

Won't need to borrow your 2.4 gh set up as I wrote of the plane on Sunday using Mike Cowley's gear, didn't get a chance to see if it solved the problem.

Regards 
Garry G

Hi Martyn, hope you are feelig better. The PC 9 C of G saga continues hopefully to a conclusion.
Having projected the suggested position in the manual of 55 - 65 mm from l.e. at tip to the root it came out at about 97 - 107mm back from l.e. which is very close to the figure that I got with the calculator mention in my last posting. This is about as far back  that is recommended before the plane gets really twitchy.
I am going to start at 90mm back which is about the maximum 15% recommended Static Margin which needs about 4.5 ounces of lead at the front to balance the plane, can always take some out after test flying.
The back of the spar is about 70mm from l.e. so I guess if you were to put enough weight at the front end of the plane to balance it at this point it would be too nose heavy.

Plane weighs 2lbs. 9ozs all up so without the lead would be close to the figure in the manual. Perhaps I should invest in a larger battery, at the momment using 2170 3s pack.

Garry G