Covering challenge.

Well, I'm almost ready to cover my Middle Phase glider. I covered my UnoWot in Solafilm and even with a superdoopa Irvine iron I had co ordination problems in some area's. No one has ever mentioned either just how much static you generate when removing the backing from Solarfilm and boy does this attract the dust...........

Anyway, I've decided to try something different with the Middle Phase. This time I'm going to try Poly C. I'm not expecting any major problems with this but I am abit worried about getting a good finish around the nose.

On the Middle Phase the nose is quite pointed and I'm definately doing alot of head scratching and wondering how I'm going to cut the cloth to get a good finish. At the moment the model looks fantastic in its uncovered state - I just don't want to spoil it.

Any thoughts and idea's would be greatly appreciated.
John.

Advert

I'm thinking about poly C for my stuka, so would really appreciate some photos and a commentary on how you get on with it.

I have heard it is slightly soft compared to epoxy, and some people don't like it for that reason.

The only real input I can give to is make sure you seal it before covering, as being water based it will raise the grain on the balsa.

Hi John . Why not make up a dummy nose section and have a practice ? It wouldn't take long to fabricate a replica nose out of some scrap and you wouldn't risk damageing you model . I have used epoxy and glass no problem but I don't know how poly C reacts with the glass cloth or how quickly it becomes sticky .

E.D

Hi John, I covered my aileron Middle Phase with solarfilm in 1987 and, other than some  "battle damage" it still looks and flies good.

I find solarfilm is great for doing complex shapes, like a pointy nose, but you have to treat it like a "shrink wrap" rather than a fabric cover.  I just had a look at my middle phase and saw that I did the fuselage in two bits per side, the rear half up to the front wing band dowel, then a second bit from there forward.  To do something like the nose of a middle phase, you need to cut a much bigger piece of film than you would have thought, perhaps 4-5" bigger al around the front of the nose section.  Then, having tacked it on quite firmly at the rear join, you grab hold of the excess film at the front with one hand and, whilst heating it with the other, pull it around the shape.  You have to pull quite hard sometimes, but you'll find it will just wrap round nicely.  I use a heat gun for that bit, but the guys at solarfilm recommend using an iron as they say you can overheat it with a gun.  I find I overheat my fingers first!  You'll need to get someone to hang on to the back of the fuselage whilst you do this.

You do have to deal with the dust by vacuming both your build area and the model before you start covering.  But this must apply to all films, surely?

If I can work out how, I'll put a photo up.

Try Pro-Film or Oracover it takes a lot more heat than solarfilm and there's no static, you can draw on the backing to aid cutting ou, just remember to reverse everything (like I didn't ) Its a bit thicker so I guess it weighs more, but not that you would notice on a slope soarer. Have a look at my West Wings Hawk build here

Tom 

Thanks for all your suggestions guy's.

Andy. - it'll be atleast another couple of weeks before I get suffient time to do the covering. Will certainly report back on how I get on..... or not!

Ed. - You've certainly produced a really good finish on that pointy nose. I've recently covered my UnoWot in solafilm using an Irvine Pro Iron, and although the wing came out reasonably well, parts of the fuselage,particularly the tail group,looks abit tatty. I wish that I'd covered the control surfaces while detached from the aircraft. Still, it was my first attempt and have learnt alot. Could certainly have used a second pair of hands at times.

Tom. - I have certainly thought about other materials. Really enjoyed reading your West Wings Hawk build. Looks really good in that colour scheme too.

Engine Doctor. - yeah, maybe my confidence would improve if I tried first on a dummy nose section. Certainly give it some thought during the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,
John.