Jeti Duplex

Terry Masters

Advert

Hi Terry,

Yes, I have the Jeti Duplex TU module in my Evo, I'll put some photos below.  It wasn't hard to fit really, I chose to place the module at the top of the transmitter leaving the space occupied by the 35MHz module free.  This means I can easily swap back to 35MHz should I wish to.  Note, this doesn't mean that both would be operational at the same time!

If you don't fancy taking on the conversion yourself, I'm aware that  Puffin Models offer a fitting service for TU modules for (I think) £50. 

In the pic above, the module is just offset to the right of centre at the top of the transmitter.

It seems like the module could almost have been sized to fit here, it's perfect and there's even a threaded mounting point available in the case directly below the hole in the PCB.  Perfecto!

Nice module mister!  Some minor filing of the inside of the case is necessary to ensure it will close without putting any pressure on the cables which bridge across the back of the aerial tube.

Note the gold plated aerial connector at the top of the case, a new hole has been drilled next to the old 35MHz aerial tube.

A grey 5 pin Multiplex connector is cut down to 4 pins and becomes the plug to pick up power and the PPM signal from the connector which fed the original 35MHz module.

The connector for the Jeti box is extended with a normal servo extension lead.  A slot is filed in the case so the servo lead pokes through with the case closed.

"Duplex Evo 12".  When handheld like this, I'm not anticipating using the Jeti Box as there's nowhere to put it.

With the Tx clipped into its tray there's an ideal spot for the Jeti Box with the cable sneaking down through a hole in the tray and into that servo connector in the bottom RHS of the transmitter.

• 4 weeks later...
How do any Duplex users out there find the reported signal strength?

I have 2 of the 6 channel receivers - both of which perform superbly on the range check - giving a good 100 yards on the ground in low power mode but the signal strength falls to 3s and 4s using standard power on a normal circuit and will drop off to 0 at any reasonable distance.

Even flying far higher and further out than normal at strength 0 hasn't produced an audible alarm or loss of control (fail safe set to cut on throttle channel and checked before trying this!) so the performance seems excellent and of course without the Jeti Box display I would be blissfully at ease!

It seems that David had the earlier firmware on the review system which didn't give have the facility to display the signal strength so he was unable to give any comparisons so any observations from those with "production" versions would be of interest.

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/05/2009 01:03:47

• 1 month later...
I have recently monitored the Rx signal which seems to read 3's & 4's at normal flying distances.

Peevie (posting above) tells us that it's a logarithmic scale.

No problems with the Jeti system so far, and I have nothing but enthusiasm for the Duplex system; the info displayed being a big help for leccy flyers.

As far as I can recall. 

I'm assuming that 0 covers from 0-1 and that's a large piece of sky with the area expanding logarithmically (or whateverally)...

Bottom line is that the range is more than I'll ever use and if the alarm ever sounds or failsafe were to kick in I would know there was something very wrong.  I got bored walking away from the field in range test mode and I had 2 trees and a large steel garage between me and the model by then!

I've also noticed reported signal strength can drop to zero when range testing but you still have control of the model.  Seems strange but it works and to be honest I've not yet managed to break the control link between TX and plane.  As my confidence in the system has grown I've sold off my 35MHz gear which I was keeping "just in case".

For me the Jeti Duplex system represents peace of mind.  I've lately been flying a 72" span Fliton Extra with an electric setup knocking on the door of 2kW in power.  To be able to glance at the transmitter and see the consumed mAh in realtime with current being drawn is perfect and the RX battery voltage readout helped me to select an appropriate RX battery for my digital servos as I could see the volts dipping too low and upgraded to a 2S A123 pack.

One day all radio systems will be like this! 

Yes I believe the Vario is released but not yet available from Puffin Models.  Similarly there's a MUI 50 current sensor (can you guess how many amps it can take?) which is released but not yet on the Puffin stock list.

Actually a lot of the Duplex range goes out of stock very quickly - I blame RCM&E!  It was a nicely kept secret until your article David

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  A Royal EVO version of the Jeti Tx module is now available, and simply plugs in where the old 35Mhz unit would have been. The aerial can be pushed up inside the normal aerial outlet, so the unit looks very professional. 

I have two EVOs, one with the unit on a cable much as above, and the second with the unit in the "proper" place.  The first is as the unit above for the Tx aerial, so I can revert to 35Mhz with ease.

Initially I had range problems because the aerial  on the Tx was not connecting.  Jeti had supplied a plastic bush to fit under the base of the aerial, and combined with the thickness of the Tx plastic it stopped the connector mating fully.  Removing three or four millimetres from the base of the bush fixed it.

I am using the varios, they function OK, but a better audio feedback system is needed to indicate rising or sinking air, as looking at the Jeti box when the glider is at 1,000ft plus is not a good option.   Also, the maximum and minimum readings can be forgotten in flight, as the link to the vario is not as robust as the link to the model.  If the link is lost for a moment, the memory is lost on the vario.

• 2 years later...

Have been using Jeti 2.4 for a few months now,I am very comfused with the sig quality readout .

Carried out range check got 50 metre before jetibox read no signal, but walked another 200 metre before equipment stopped working.

If I take a glider to tow line height Jeti box is reporting signal lost but model still under full control?

Most flights Jetibox is reporting signal lost at some time ,but model still under control and TX Module not bleeping signal lost.

I have a mix of 5 and 6 channel EX receivers and a mix of glass,foam and balsa models all have the same problem.

The only time I have lost signal is when flying on slope and standing behind dry stone wall when ever wall came between me and plane signal and control were lost, lifting TX up instantly fixed this.

I would apreciate some feedback is it just me or is this how this gear works?

Thank you

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

My 2.4 duplex system as just saved it's first model.

Taking advantage of a gap in the weather , put receiver battery on fast chage and then went flying.

After 10 mins flying little voice from Jeti box Profi said "RX, voltage low 4.6v"

Brought plane around and landed 4.0v

The fast charge must have cut off early putting almost no charge in, it is old unit with no charge information.

With out this warning the plane would have been lost

Ian