Advert

VERY nice kit. Beautifuly presented. Comprehensive instructions. I even seem to have a spare belly skid! Just the thing to keep in the car

Right then. Looking at batteries for this lil' cutie.

Timbo:
Going with 2.4 Specky Rx, so could do with a 6V pack. Prob is that all the Nimhs are too big, so now thinking Lipo.
I spy an 850mha 2S pack that should fit nicely, but what voltage regulator do I need? Indeed, do I need one? The Rx says it can take up to 9V+

How long can I expect this small pack to last?

BTW. Instructions suggest HS82mg servos.

Hi Matthew - the problem is not the receiver but the servos - there are a few around that will take up to 9+V  ( heres a link ) but normally they are rated at 6V max, so yes, use a  regulator.
The current draw will be very small, so you dont need a heavy duty BEC - there are plenty around these days for a few pounds - select a nice small light weight one ...preferably "switch mode".
Try Giant Cod or Rob at flying wings or Grant @ foamyjetys
850mah pack via regualtor should be good for a whole days flying easily.... probably around 6 - 8 hours or so I reckon. Do rmemebr that if you dont have any form of Low Voltage alarm on board, that you must not let you LiPo run down below 6V as an absolute minimum to be safe.
I usually recharge mine when they get to around 6.75 or so.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 11/05/2009 15:45:02

Yep, that should do it Matthew. I mentioned the low voltage of the LiPo as potential problem, so I suggest you either build a little circuit called the microscream ( heres a link )
or maybe buy a commercial " LiPosaver " such as this.
This one only flashes a light, rather than screams audibly, but a google around should find an audio variant. I just make the microscream, only costs a few bob, and very quick and simple to do. Its a variant of this circuit that I use an LV alarm on my Txs.
I have the info here in a zipped file if its of any interest.

This has gotten very technical.  I too will be running Spekky, but on a 4.8v AAA 800mAh pack. Call me what you like, but its worked for me in another sloper for nearly 2 years now, and I've never had a brownout, mainly because my rucksack has a gel cell in the bottom so I can field charge if needed.  As long as you keep on top of your batteries, 4.8v in a Spectrum/ foamie sloper setup shouldnt really present a problem???
Dont get me wrong, my power models with Spekky Rxs all run either 5 cell packs, or Lithiums and regs.

Where do i stick this 2p?

Shaun

I did say to Matthew way back when, that it was not a necessity to use 6V on Spekky, but preferable.  Here's the original posting on his LEG Jart thread.
" Well as always, ask 100 different people the same thing, and get 100 different answers. Not wishing to decry in any way Stans advice - I would just wonder how much experience and knowledge he has of Spektrum gear ? I have a LOT - this is the key factor here. As I said.... 4 cell will probably work, but I just like to play safe with nice and somewhat pricey toys, and for the sake of squeezing in one more cell...well, as the yanks say - go figure "
I happen to use LiPo in everything these days (except one remaining small flying wing) as it means a simple and consistent charging regime for me whatever I am flying - IC, electric, or slope, so therefore I choose to have the extra protection ( and torque ) of a 6V supply, as all the regulators I use are switcheable between either 5V or 6V out so it seems kinda daft not too.
The other advantage of course is instant fully charged packs whenever I fancy nipping off for an unplanned flying session, longer flying sessions between charging, and better cold weather performance than cruddy old NiMhs.
Its everyones choice, and no one is right or wrong  - its just how I do it, and it works fine for me.
How are you getting on with the Weasel Shaun - will it be ferreting around at the fly -in.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 12/05/2009 14:23:03

Tim, dont ask about the Weasel, its grieves me to say its till exactly the same as it was in the fifth picture down, and they were taken a week ago now?  Matthews will probably get finished before mine. Incidentally, if you're listening Matthew, are you going with the 3 or 1 piece wing option???  Think Im going down the 1 piece route.

I finish my 12hr shifts on sunday night and roll into 16 days off, so im hoping to get a few things finished sharpish. Will have it finished for you to fly Tim, promise ya 

Just gotta hope the wind Gods are on my side, these Easterlies better get a move on and disappear....

Shaun

He is indeed Shaun. AND he flies both modes

Cricky, if I put all that electronic jiggery-pokery in there's no room for the Rx.

After all that sound advice I may just go back to 4.8V, as the molding is shaped to take a 4 cell AAA pack. It's not an expensive model, it's made of EPP, it's tough and I want to chuck it!

I fancy the three-peice-sweet version Shaun. It will fit back in the box and can be kept in the car for, ahem, impromptu sloping

Ive wanted a weasel for ages. I would have been quite happy getting hold of a weasel pro. I didnt  know prior to the release that Michael was going down the moulded route for kit production, only that he was 'restructuring'. So, mine was going to be taped up whatever happened. Ive only put a bit off CW along the leading edges of the wing and fin, the rest will be packing tape. I might, in the future, remove it all and insert the magnets for 3 piece wing.
It is, after all, only a toy aeroplane.....

Flew it twice yesterday

First time it was a rather blustery 15mph at Hopesay, and second was a more sedate 10 up on Titterstone Clee as the sun went down. The latter session was best for this little foamie. One word review? Sweet.

Urgh - my pic looks squashed

Very chuckable - this little cutie turns on a pin and loops like a good 'un. It must be good - the first flight lasted over an hour, curtainled only due to a heavy shower

That's the little velco-attached cover where the switch, charging jack and battery monitor are placed. It's a bit fiddly to remove, but once you have the knack it is a very neat solution.
Not so sure about the 'three piece sweet' break-down build though. Unless you want to spend time chasing the fin after each touch-and-go - tape it on!!

Just back from sloping-off again. I think the phrase includes 'Hell' and 'handcart'.
Ah well, all in the day of a SLOM.

This little model is just fabulous. It really grooves along
Some small concerns to pass onto prospective owners:

1. Consider covering it. Mine is looking grubby already - that white EPP soon muddies.
2. Those pushrods are rather exposed. I retained mine with the supplied screw-clevis, but fitted them screw side towards the wing and made a small channel in the foam to clear the screw. I also trimmed off the excess control horn.
3. Not sure about the break-down ability. It's still a small model assembled, and unless your landings are silky it will come apart - putting strain on the servos and generally mucking about with the pushrods.
4. Fit an Eneloop battery! Mine seems to go on and on and ...

Cracking little model. Thoroughly recommended 

I've now seen Matthew's weasel. I even had a little go. It's very nice. Like flying a paper bag with a couple of servos in it. But in a good way. It's a loopy, rolly, playful little thing. Goes fast considering it weights two thirds of bog all.

Very nice. I don't want one tho. No, definitely not. Well, maybe