First IC Trainer. A journey in unforseen parts...

Hugh Coleman

yes it starting to make sence.

I got a bargin trainer from ebay Trainer . I also have a switch with charching socket in with my tx set.  I have a nice little 2s lipo that would be good as a power supply (will have to check voltage)

And yes I do mean a glow plug heater. I see they have different ratings. but i am sure my local model shop can help.

I was hoping to get away without an electric starter and flick start the engine.

Advert

phil---it's ok saying i'm going to flick start the engine -- i would get an electric starter-to save the engine the chance of having a go at your finger's-if you lived closer i could give you one for nowt--maybe once you get used to an ic engine- then use the flick method-but to start(pun) i would use the starter............
 ken anderson-who over the year's has seen some gashed trotter's or two.......  

Hugh said
"You can also use a single Cell Lipo, but you will need to use a regulator as well to bring the voltage down to what the receiver and the servos can handle."

Err, no you cant  - you need a 2s LiPo pack for powering standard size radio gear, used, as Hugh sys, with a suitable regulator.
Alternatively, you could use 2 A123 cells without regulator, but I think we are getting a bit complicated here for a beginner.

Well, this is now together and almost ready to fire up.  The only two issues yet to be resolved are securing the fuel tank (which is actually quite simple) and working out how to get the preinstalled throttle push rod to meet up with the throttle on the engine... But I had an epiphany this morning!
It's as simple as mounting a lever on top of the fire wall and bending the push rod back to meet this.  Then, the other end of the lever just has to link to the throttle.  Easy.
It don't have to be pretty, it  just has to be positive and reliable.
Let's face it, if I wanted pretty, there are a whole lot of trainers out there that would have fit the bill better than the Boomerang.

Cheers,

Hugh

Well, I went over to my club grounds this morning having arranged to meet my instructor there.
We made a few adjustments to things like Battery security and position in order to assist with the COG.
The we fueled her up... and committed aviation.

Wow.  So much more enjoyable to have a trainer that flies in a straight line without having to adjust every millisecond...

And you don't have to wait for batteries to charge up again!

There are disadvantages, in fact the very ones that led me to pursue an electric trainer initialy; ie, there is glow exsaust residue every where, and everything happens faster, so I have less time to think.

I had four flights today.  And it was only that I ran out of time that stopped me having more.

Cheers,

Hugh

Thanks Timbo.

I was wrapped when my instructor put her up there ane then with only minor trim adjustments (2 clicks of Aileron and 2 down on the elevator) handed me the transmitter.   This was the first flight I have had yet where I was actually more excited than scared.
I went back to the flight line buzzing.

Winter is coming on here.  Nice calm days are fewer and fewer... But I will make sure that I can get flights as often as I can.

Cheers,

Hugh