ZDZ Engine Driving Me Crazy

mike carroll

I bought a used 50NG on the ground it starts fine, runs fine, transitions fine and you can hold the throttle anywhere at any rpm for any lenth of time and it runs fine. I guess buy now you are woundering why I am asking a question. Here is my problem, as soon as I roll out for take off and get the wheels about 2" off the ground I lose power, It does not die and idles fine and will power back up on the ground. WHAT IS GOING ON?

I have also taken the carb apart and cleaned it, the only thing I can see possibly wrong is the diaphram is cupped.

Thanks for anyones help in advance

Advert

First thing Mike it could be adverse pressure effects on your daiphragm, there should be a small hole in the diaphragm cover and sometimes depending on the model and whats going on with air pressure inside your cowl / fuselage, try soldering a small pipe into this hole (you'll have to take the cover off to do this) make sure no sharp edges protrude inside as they will damage your diaphragm. Then when you've got it re-assemled run a length of fuel tubing down inside your fus where it can sit in relatively still air and see how your motor performs then. I had an extreme dose of this on a ZDZ 80 in an Extra and had to run the tube inside a 1"cube box of balsa in the fusalage. Strangely enough I have a ZDZ 50 in an Edge that gives me no problems 

• 3 weeks later...
Well gentalmen I finally gave up on the old carb and bought a new one. Installed it on tuesday and went flying on Saturday. It worked without a flaw, don't know what got inside of the old one but it is now in the spare parts bin.

Thanks for all your help

Mike "Crash" Carroll

I bought it at Troy Built Models, here is the link http://www.troybuiltmodels.com it is not shown on there web side but if you E-Mail Mike Dooley he can sell you one. It was $55.00 USA and shipping. Mike Dooley used to work for RC Showcase the people that sold the ZDZ engines in the USA. Hope this helps you out

Mike "Crash" Carroll