Replacing li-po cells

Hi,

I have a couple of li-po`s that have 1 damaged cell in each pack. I wondered if i could replace the bad cell in 1 pack with one of  the other cells to make a complete pack?........Oh, and how easy is it?

thanks

louisben

Edited By Louis Benjamin on 07/05/2009 17:48:30

Advert

Hi Louis,

I'm sure this question has been asked on numerious occasions.and I'm also sure that the Forum Moderator will point you in the correct direction. But as far as I know, this is not a recommended course of action. If you have a pack with  a "dead" cell then for safety sake the whole pack should be replaced.

Others will no doubt have their opinions.

Edited By Doug Ireland on 07/05/2009 18:05:17

I agree with Doug. I am game for most things and willing to take chances other avoid but I was in the same situation as you and chose to ditch the whole pack. The main reason is that the solder used on the pack I had was very high melting point and my iron while up to most other jobs would hardly touch the solder on my packs.

So I slashed the cells and left them in a bucket of water for  a week and then put them in the bin.

The difficult solder is often because it is aluminium. I have on occasion removed a bad cell from a 3s and kept the pack for things like radio gear low current applications etc, however it is not what I would call easy - unless you are very skilled with a soldering iron, and know your way aroiund LiPo wiring configurations etc. Not advised really.

Whats the damage? I managed to fix an arcing cell in a 2s1p pack by removing the heatshrink outer and isolating the tabs that had'nt been properly isolated. Packs still flying over a year old now, depends on whats wrong with it. If its puffed or punctured then forget it, but if its just the wiring thats come adrift it might be fixable

Tom