JP Pretty - hating this kit so far

Well, this kit makes a good first impression. The parts are neat and well covered and it goes together well. But there's a few quality issues with it.

1) The motor mounts to a ply reinforcement ring in the nose. But this ring is held on with chinese spit, It has a fibre glass mat over it, but apparently no resin. Instead they used some sort of milky baby vomit. And of course the motor was mounted before it had dried so the whole lot is glued together.

2) Initial run up of the motor involved horrible noises then it threw the prop across the garage, despite having been tightened up. Closer inspection revealed that the motor mounting screws (pre-installed) had also broken through the fibre glass nose to the ply ring, so the whole lot was loose.

3) The motor (pre-installed) was in need of refitting, but on close examination (luckily), the outrunner had rubbed through the wires to the esc.

4) Reinforcement ring refitted, motor mounted and washers used to protect the fuselage, wires recovered and repaired, and secured well away from the motor. The prop now has to be attached, but on fitting it seems impossible to tighten up the prop adaptor enough to stay on the motor - extra tightening snaps the prop adaptor in half!!!

I am so peeved right now. If you buy this glider, take it apart and do the lot yourself, oh and replace the prop adaptor as the supplied one is poo.

Where is the quality control please Perkins?

Advert

I had been warned about the wires and the prop, but I checked it over and all seemed ok. It's a bit hard to tell with the wires unless you dismantle the lot. And the prop seemed tight until it reached max revs. Coming off is one thing, but snapping the prop adapter.... I know I'm a big bloke but c'mon.

I've got the thrush glider from perkins (almost the same} and i had the motor mount come loose on the motor itself which managed to chew the three wires up but prop driver and prop are fine.The screw holes for the canopy don't last long either but flies really great i love it!!

I have been told it's a good flier, otherwise it'd be in the bin by now!

As for sending it back to JP, there's no point. I have just rectified all the things they should have done in the first place instead.

Thos of you that have them, what prop have you fitted and what size?

Edited By Shaun Chant on 17/05/2009 10:22:21