Electric Flair Baronette

And of course while I was typing Chris has snook in lol.

Yes I will cover it in white solartex. White seems to be the only color that still shrinks the way it used to when i was modelling thirty years ago. The colored solartex I tried on your Cirrus Moth wouldn't shrink drum tight. The white still seems to do that.

So I have two schemes on my mind at the mo.

1.   The traditional all over red...... Manfred Von Richtoffen
2.   Yellow all over (really two shades but hey ho its not that accurate) Lothar Von Richtoffen

3.    Or I could try Werner Voss's mucky streaky one?

Anyway we seem to be on topic again that will never do!

Cheers
Danny

Advert

Ah, you have been on 'Scalebuilder' as well then! Check out the BT Spitfire build thread that dried up half way through! Got fed up with posts being removed. I have been on the RC forums since 2004 and I know and stick to the rules, bit daft in there if you ask me.

Would leaving the tailplane mounts off have helped? Looks like it is built the same as the big Tiger, oil rig back end joined to a separately built box, have to admit that my Flair Tiger does not have the straightest fuselage. I've got a SLEC jig now.

Good progress

Gary

PS:There were some black triplanes, might cause orientation probs though.  

Are the instructions written by Dudley Pattison with a joke every other line? My printed Sunrise instructions had pencilled out words and corrections added above, human beings at work!

Clever but simple designs.

Flair don't seem very active, I am waiting for the K8 glider to come back on the market.

Got to be up early for work in the morning.

Have fun

Gary 

I think the forums each have there niche. I must say I have some great friends on all of them. I put builds on whichever one I think would fit. I have an electric Brian Taylor P-51 with Benedini sound build on RCSCALEBUILDER they tend to be very serious and fantastic builders, probably the best in the world. I tend to put the ARTF stuff on RCMF, but they lost a shed load of my posts in the big crash. And I think they have been down again over the last two days.
This forum has some of the friendliest people and the thread etiquette isn't so harsh which is very refreshing. I just wish it was as easy to post pictures. Its bad enough to document the build but to then have to fight the system to posy is slightly annoying.

Whinge over

Danny out....

Hi Gary,
Yes with hindsight I think you are right the tailplane seat being attached is an error, but I just followed the instructions lol. Oh well it will be a big problem if the front doesn't mate

Yes weren't the black Dr1's striped black and white? I think it will be either red or yellow, got to give the chaps chasing a chance after all....... Nobody has come up with smoke yet.....

Anyway good to chat, catch you again.

Edited By Danny Fenton on 22/05/2009 22:40:11

Must nick that photo for work e-mails!!

I remember when this forum started that you had to wait a couple of days for album pictures to be approved (fear of spammers?), maybe in the future the software could be changed to something like that used at RCGroups.

I hang out there mostly, it is biased towards the US though, if you built this on there nobody would have joined in! It is very easy to do build threads there, but harder to keep it on topic sometimes!

I remember in the 70s we used to have a magazine called 'Aeromodeller' (my loft floorboards are creaking with them) and not many people had telephones.

We have progressed and still want more.

Is there a danger that the paper 'hard copy' magazine will become a thing of the past? In the last year other clubs that I belong to have stopped printing and posting the newsletters and put them online, which seemed completely logical to me.

Hope not, else David will be out of a job!

Now if someone could scan and publish all the 'Aeromodeller' mags like 'Flight International' have I could make some room in my loft!

Happy landings

Gary

Hi Gary, yes at least the pictures are available from your album immediately theses days. It still adds a level of complexity, and if you could add several at once that would help.  Modelling can be an isolated hobby, and I think the forums help keep everybody enthusiastic, but they do consume a fair bit of time

I was thinking about the way I had built the fuselage the right way up as opposed to upside down, and the fact that the crossmembers were shorter at the top than the bottom. And I came to the conclusion that I was in error and I had not built it right. So this morning I cut the top crossmembers out and made new ones an 1/8" longer. Much happier, and it took less time to fix it than the time that I spent worrying about it.

Cheers
Danny

Hi Gary,
Not managed to get much done as Chris came over and we drank coffee and played with some A123 cells that were misbehaving.

I did manage to sort F2 out, it was not very accurate as you will see if you look at the curvature across the top of the bulkhead, nothing the beltsander couldn't sort out.

I also got the front started. The diagonla brace is temporary and holds it all square due to the ply bulkhead F2 being warped and wanting to twist things. The set squares also showed that the tops and bottoms were also true.

Chris and I were speculating about the similarities between his DB Tigermoth and the full size, hopefully he will be online later and wil ask you himself.

More in a bit........

Cheers
Danny 

Edited By Danny Fenton on 23/05/2009 20:11:39

I assume you mean are wheels and guns still available for the Fokker LOLOL

Yes the Williams Bros stuff is still available, I think mine came from Sussex Model Centre. They are a bit pricey for what they are but hey this hobby is cheaper than most.

Do I get the impression you might be getting one of these Gary? Great!! I built the legionaire thirty years ago and loved it with a 40 2st with a silly massive prop. The motor was deliberately four stroking, it was magic......... That was nice to build, and of course there is the Pupeteer which is supposed to be very nice for lazy flying.

Cheers
Danny

Yes, I could be getting one sooner than I thought thanks to a very kind forum member, that's why I'm watching intently.

I'm thinking of another project at the moment having just finished a big glider (Foss Multi-Phase), got a few unbuilt kits and unfinished models in the loft and another Foss glider (Centi-Phase) on the way from Norwich (eBay find) which just needs radio fitting.

Was actually thinking of electrifying a Cambrian 109 as the next project but I do like sticks and ribs!

They did put a gun on a Tiger Moth once and tried to sell it to the Czech Air Force, ours has the anti-spin strakes fitted for RAF use but not the bomb rack under the rear cockpit, shame!

The strakes were needed in case of a spin with bombs on board (aft CofG, flat spin, delayed or no recovery). Makes me dizzy spinning the old lady but I keep doing it!

Gary 

Hi Guys

Looking in just before I get the two moths out in case the weather tomorrow is as good as today.

Gary, the question Danny referred to about how the Tiger Moth handles might be better after my next flying session. In essence, I bought the Tiger Moth (my avatar) second hand and quite rough. After plenty of rebuild and recovering fus (thanks Sid) it flew very nicely. However, it seems to have a bit of a mind of its own on where it wants to go. 

The Cirrus Moth that Danny rebuilt for me so nicely is more straightforward to fly. 

But the Tiger Moth was actually easier to fly on rudder only than aileron only. Of course I do use both.  The poor aileron response may have been due to stiff hinges and belcranks etc. I have recently switched it to 2 servos directly driving the surfaces. I'm looking forward to seing if this helps.

Edited By Chris Bott on 23/05/2009 21:25:40

Hi Chris,

If your ailerons are scale size then what you are describing is normal!

Flying a little bit faster might help. The full size Tiger ailerons are quite heavy in feel and the roll rate is not very good, they can be rolled but it is difficult and there is a risk of the engine stopping at the inverted stage (gravity fuel feed). In fairly light gusty crosswinds the Tiger Moth can have a mind of its own and is something we have to be very careful with.

Plenty of rudder is a must with aileron input, you can mix it in if you have a computer Tx.
The full size has a very marked aileron differential action to counter adverse yaw, if you use two servos you can usually arrange that as well.

The Tiger being a basic trainer originally is sometimes described as being easy to fly but difficult to fly accurately which I would agree with, I am a fairly experienced power pilot but I'm always on my guard for the Tiger biting me which it can do if you don't stay on top of it or fly it out of wind speed limits. 

I've not flown a DH60 (Cirrus, Gipsy Moth) but they have unswept wings with little dihedral so the aileron response might be better.

If when you are turning the model the tail looks like it is hanging low in the turn (slipping)then it needs more rudder input, I used to fly my big Flair Tiger like that and it was pointed out to me at a scale competition. Lazy left thumb (Mode 2), still a bit lazy!

Gary

Thanks Gary

It sounds like the model is very similar to the real thing. 
I like to fly it really slowly 'cos I hate seeing a model like this look like its pylon racing. 

It's a really enjoyable challenge.  (Yes I'm mode 2 as well, I know what you mean)
I'll let you know how we get on tomorrow.

I was going to post a link to a video of this one, but Youtube seem to have deleted all mine

Unfortunately the smaller the scale the faster it has to be flown (relatively) which is often at odds with the type of model. The 1/4 scale one can be flown near scale speed and looks ok. I fly the big Tiger at 60 knots most of the time, a 1/10 scale model should be flown at 6 knots but it is difficult to achieve.

I have got a sheet somewhere on scale factors, Reynolds numbers are involved (don't get into that!).

Flying the comps (RAFMAA scale) was a great way of improving my flying, one of the manouevres was 'straight flight' which sounds easy but the judges were looking for scale speed I expect.  

It was a long time ago but the manouevres were from the BMFA scale handbook I think, there were compulsories (takeoff, straight flight, descending circle, landing etc) and you had to choose five from nine possible other manouevres, I chose a touch and go, three turn spin, split 'S' (half roll to inverted and pull through), inside loop and stall turn as my five. I had them written out on a piece of paper in order and used a friend as a caller (the judges like to know what you were trying to do!). Worth a go at the club strip with no pressure on.

Have fun with your Tiger tomorrow, I will be working.

Gary