Resiting 2.4 module aerial from back of Tx to top

Calling all experts
Can I use an extended piece of co-ax  from the module to the original aerial (35 mHz ) position on top of my Tx .? If so what is its impedance / spec & where would I get it from (such a short length).It would need to be about 7 inches total length including the bare bit at the tip to cover the extended journey ? Any advice please .Not that important I know but would be a lot neater & expect a few others doing what I've done might have thought about it .I see spekky stuff Rx's feature a longer length aerial(s) for carbon fuselages ! Wonder if they've made minor changes to the electronics in the Rx's?
G-UMPY

Advert

• 2 months later...
Posted by flytilbroke on 19/05/2009 23:40:49:
Not a legal move at all. Any claim against you in the event of an incident and you will NOT have a proverbial "leg to stand on". Any insurance will be null and void.
Not true.

If your modification leaves the RF specification within the legal use of the RF spectrum then you are still within the law. It's THAT simple.

Modifying the coax however will mean the radio is no longer FCC or CE compliant, so you cannot do this as a business, but as long as you transmit legally, you are legal.

The BMFA do not recognise any changes to any radio however, because they asked a jobsworth at Ofcom who obviously didn't bother reading any of the regulations, and just said it probably wasn't a good idea before driving off to a nice afternoon's golf.
Regardless - the law is the law, and a legal transmission is STILL a legal transmission, regardless of how some people want to stop everyone doing anything remotely creative.

glob's---i think ftb is referring to the BMFA ins term's and condition's-as reguard's modifying and using the radio in public places---don't think you would have a leg to stand on should an accident/fatality(bottom line)occur.......

ken anderson.....

Edited By ken anderson. on 16/08/2009 23:15:08

Ken, the BMFAs insurance applies to all legal activity.

Thus one leg would be the insurance, the other leg is that you are legal.
If you modify your radio and it becomes illegal then you may be in trouble.

In that regard, while I cannot think of how a different coax could render a radio illegal, it could well attenuate the signal and reduce range.

The BMFA club policy is to discourage the use of modified radios (at BMFA competitions etc) because of the (IMO) flawed 'advice' given by the Ofcom official.

I'm not really sure why Ofcom exist TBH, their fiefdom over broadband has been an appalling mess with un-controllable third party ISPs having more rights over people BT lines than BT or the line renter, and their inexcusable laziness in advising the RC hobby. Another one of the 1100 quangos we could do without.

many year's ago when i first joined our club we had a member who has now joined the club in the sky--who one evening appeared at our site and took aprox 10 peg's off the pegboard!-when i asked why he said the previous evening he had been accused of 'shooting' down other member's aircraft with his dodgy radio so as a precaution he was taking 5 or so peg's each side of his frequency.....memories....

ken anderson.........