Boeing 747 build thread 54.5'' wingspan depron foam build

Don't think Quantua have ever crashed as such, but sure have had some incidents! One I heard a couple weeks back was that A Quantus flight from Singapore was flying to England. Over the middle east one engine failed on thier 747, ok the pilots thought, we can still fly. Then over the English Channel a second engine failed. The crew told air traffic control they would be losing some height. Now on their approach to Heathrow, the Thrid cut out right over London! Luckily  they were close to the airport. It is said, just as they touched down the Forth engine failed!

Not sure how real the story is, but someones got an imagination if it isn't!

Sorry for going off topic :P

hello, everybody, thanks for all your comments, i planed on haveing the wing panels seperating from the 1st engine, but as the wing is not very thick i was worried about strength, so ive gone for a 1 piece detachable wing.
ive done a bit of wing building, the main wing spars where made from 5mm balsa stringers covered with 1.5mm balsa,

i made the centre ribs from 12 mm balsa and i am going to face them with 1.5mm ply for the retracts, i need to visit the local hobby shop for some ply as ive run out, i also cant carry on with fuselage (sheeting) as i need ply wood to start building the rear wing retract supports in to the fuselage, so ive come to a halt i think, i will load a picture soon,

as for what the plane will be i like the British airways and Virgin Atlantic, but i also like the last picture colour scheme, im just not that good at painting

i am going to ask my uncle who printed my plans to also print me some decals like the windows and doors, it would save a lot of time painting them, i just have to scale them to the correct size, the picture i have included is just an example,

once i have built the plane and flew it i will share the plane, but i would rather wait till i have built it

Edited By Brett Jones on 29/05/2009 19:43:27

hi every body, its been a few days, ive got a lot done on the wing as you can see in the pictures, im going to have my servos wounted in the engine bracket (the last picture).

ive just ordered from hobbycity.com 2 sets on lighting systems for the 747

R/C LED Lighting System, easy to use on scale lighting set suittable for 30-60 size scale model Helicopters and Aeroplanes.
Included;
   2 red Beacon
   2 White Strobe
   1 Red 
   1 Green navigation light
   A set for landing light.

Includes flush mount LED plugs, to install in canopies or wings.

Specifications;
Input: 4-6v
Current: 30mA
Main board size: 35x24x8mm
LED wire length: 600mm/pc
Weight: 35g
for $9- £6 ish a bargain i ordered 2. ive read in the reviews that the wires is not long enough no problmes to just extend them, 

i'll have to leave the top sheeting of the wing off till it arrives so i can route the wires. im going to be ordering soon the 18 wheels for the 747,

please share  your comments on the wing.

hi, ive sheeted all the under side on the wing now, the retract sits flush with the sheeting witch is what i wanted. i cut the fuse lage to the profile of the wing, and put it in place ithink you will agree it looks pretty cool!!!

i started to mess with push rods for the retracts but i need to wait for my wheels to come as i need to plan around these, the retacts i ordered a reverseable,  so i can have the pushrod mounted behing the retract.

ive also sheeted the front top sheeteing of the fuselage, in the last pic ive left the sheeting out as im going to have this removeable to access the lipos,

what do you think?????

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted by Foamie Dave on 24/09/2009 21:02:57:
Great job Brett !!

Keep up the superb work

hi dave thanks for that, theres also going to be a boeing 737-500 in the works. it has a 61 inch length and a 60 inch span, can fit upto 76mm edfs in the nachels. (if thats how you spell it) it will have retracts and lights just like the 747.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 13 years later...