Boeing 747 build thread 54.5'' wingspan depron foam build

after a few hours of working in auto cad, i have started to build a boeing 747 from the boeing.com drawings.

the drawing is 1:1 scale, so i just scaled it down to the size i wanted in cad, then set about drawing all the formers.

i had my plan printed out. it prints on to 2-  60'' x 36'' sheets. at a very modest fee, £4.50 a sheet. bargain

i stared by cuting out each former out on paper, then i traced around this onto the depron, the depron im using for the formers is 6mm, and it will be sheeted in 3mm depron.

it will have retracts, and might add flaps for scale, i ordered 4 retract units as it has the nose, the main gear in the wings and also in the centre of the body theres another set of wheels in line with the wing wheels, i want to have all wheels present so it requieres 4 sets of retracts.

i'm planing on using just 2 - 68mm edfs but will being building in wires incase i need to upgrade  and add the remaining 2 edfs. it should turn out pretty light.

as ive drawn it in cad if i come across any problems i'll be able to adjust my cad drawing....

hope you out there are intrested
heres a few pics....

as you can see ive been busy it took me around an hour and a half to get to where i am now,
iam trying to have the wings plug in, from the 1st edf just after the retracts as i plan on  1 servo operating all the retacts by some clever system,

any body intrested...........

Nice work Brett, don't be too worried if people don't reply much on this sort of thread, it doesn't mean they are not taking an interest, probably just waiting for the next bit come along  You keep going with the thread. Wish my BV 138 project had got that far in 90 minutes, been more like 90 days so far.

Brett
An ambitious project, I will follow with interest but surely the 747 has 4 sets of main landing gear, 2 in the wing retracting sideways into the fus and 2 under the fuselage set slightly further back retracting forward.
See here.
So unless you can use 1 retract for both the fuselage pair, you will need 5!

The fuselage double curves (particularly at the nose) will not be easy in 3mm depron.

What are the wings going to be made of?

hi everybody, been busy again today, so i only had an hour or 2 to mess with the 747 today, got the forward retract  mounts in today, also the front lower sheeting.

ive also added two battery mount plates from 3 mm balsa, in the second and third photos. i will have a hatch on the side off the plane and hold the batterys with velcro.

i was going for  one servo to operate all retracts, but i think the wheels will retract and be in the way off the rod, so im thinking off a servo being more closer to the retract may be mounted a bove some how.... let me know if you like......

Edited By Brett Jones on 21/05/2009 22:20:46

back to the 747, ive had a few more hours in the shed today, got the nose section sheeted and nose shaped, also fitted the retract sevo abd push rod, i brought the retracts of ebay from a shop plus2city i think, i had both sets for £10 with free shipping, i have also added the remaing fuselage formers, will start to sheet the rear under side and start on the tail before sheetin the top of the fuse to get the controls in, i think im having the servos close to the rudder and elevator.

the wings are going to be built from the same methord as the fuselage with 3mm depron sheeting.

Edited By Brett Jones on 24/05/2009 22:18:32

Brett
Impressive build so far. Double curves in Derpron are not that easy.
Depron is a fairly flexible material and the sheer size of the 747 fuselage ensures the 3mm Depron skin provides sufficient rigidity but the wings of a 747 are pretty thin. You will need to ensure they will be strong enough in both bending and torsion.
I have bought quite a bit of stuff from Plus2City with no problems at all. 

If all turns out well, I would really like the plan . Are you prepared to sent it across on e-mail? If I were to built it I think for the nose section I would use stringers and 1/15mm depron, sound like a good idea? I would also most probably not bother with an U/C. which would save weight, money, and rebuild time when it breaks out! Ill be interested to see how the wing turns out.

Good luck

Ben